How can I achieve abstinence?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm on day 2 of naltrexone after over 10 years of alcohol dependence and abuse (so early days i know) and feel really positive....last night i only had/needed 3 pints instead of my usual 6 plus wine. i've agreed with the counsellor i'll use naltrexone to cut down and then start a detox when i finish my exams in a month's time, but i'm worried how i'll manage. if i still need a couple of pints when i'm on naltrexone, how will i ever manage to make the switch to abstinence? i'd really appreciate advice from someone who has done this....

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Hi abstained from alcohol after addiction for 2 years and it wasn't easy. I didn't take any meds it was just from pure willpower. But when I did think it was safe to drink again, and thought it could be in moderation, it wasn't. I ended up exactly where I was before I gave up. The overwhelming urge to drink to oblivion had not gone away. So please don't kid yourself into thinking that you can control it without any sort of intervention. If you are an alcoholic, you will always be an alcoholic. But if namalfene can control it then that's brilliant.

liz

• Posted

Hi Liz, thanks for sharing your experience with me. What you've described there has what's really been troubling me. I'm concerned that even if I do manage a long period of abstinence that I'll never be able to drink safely again without taking naltrexone or nalmafene, that that compulsion will come back and that little voice in my head will mean I will never be able to keep it to just one drink. Friends that I've told keep saying not to think too far ahead, but you don't embark on a journey without at least having an idea where you're going do you? Nonetheless, as both you and Paul said, if I have to take a pill every time I drink in the future, it's not the end of the world.

Hats off to you for abstaining for 2 years, I have no doubt it was difficult but hearing that others have done it gives me hope. I hope you're getting on well now :-)

• Posted

Feel really sh*t, took my naltrexone as normal at around 6pm and I've had 4 pints tonight. Why have I not been able to stop? Fair enough it's not 6, but the past week I've managed to hold it at 2 or max. 3.....
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Keith - a different frame of mind maybe - will be interesting to hear what Paul has to say.
    • Posted

Keith, please remind me how long you have been taking it now. There will be variation in what you drink, there is for everybody, regardless of whether or not they have an alcohol problem. It is not necessarily a gradual consistent reduction, it may go 7 pints, 5 pints, 3 pints, 2 pints, 4 pints, 1 pint ....

You said, though, that you have 'not been able to stop.' What prevented you from stopping? A craving for more or just habit and you kept having another without thinking until you realised you had had four?

When you say that you have MANAGED to hold it to 2 or 3 pints, has that taken a concerted effort to do?

• Posted

Hi Paul, thanks for replying. I've only been taking it for a week. Every other day, I've felt like it's created a brick wall between craving alcohol and my actions, so "managed" was probably the wrong word, it's not been a struggle.

Last night, though, I could feel that nagging craving inside me again for the first time in a week and once I'd had one I felt like I wanted more and more. And then I felt angry with myself. In hindsight, it probably was still having an effect as I still stopped at 4, a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have been able to stop until I was legless.

• Posted

Yes, don't get too concerned if you drink more one day, the process isn't instant.
    • Posted

Thanks Paul, probably pressed the panic button a bit too early, I've just become hyper about is it/isn't it working. Much better night last night, no cravings at all. Just have to learn that it isn't going to happen overnight.
  • Posted

Keith Antabuse is the solution. I can't stress this more. I have three university degrees in the medical field and am a chronic alcoholic myself. I'm only 32 years old and at times I was drinking over seventy shots a day. My life was a mess. Antabuse forces abstinence because you can't drink on it. IT allows me to deal with stresses without arguing with myself whether I should go to the bottle shop or not. Please try it. It will save your life and your future. It saved me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.