How can I control health anxiety?

Posted , 11 users are following.

So for about 3 months now I have been suffering from "health anxiety" I have had blood tests for 8 different things and everything came back normal and an ecg which also came back normal including an ecg I had mid panic attack when I went to A&E after deciding 2 hours of a severe panic attack was enough, my bpm was 116 which wasn't as bad as it could have been. I normally get feelings of panic in the evening/night and every so often in the day. But I put myself to bed at around 10pm if it's an intensely bad night. I'm 19 years old in university and going to bed at 10pm is having a major affect on my social life, the anxiety is also affecting my relationship as I am worried all the time. I think pain in my fingers are blood clots heading to my heart, a pain in my side is my appendix bursting or kidney failure, a headache is bleed on the brain, it's bad, but it all centres around my heart, I am scared that it is just going to give up on me and stop, I hate being alone incase I die alone, I am debating therapy or hypnosis but I don't know if it will work, does anybody else have or has had this and has any tips on dealing with it? I've already worked through a huge book of self help modules and hasn't seemed to help

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update - I have been going through a self help book that aims to explain health anxiety and give me ways to control it, I feel more like myself again and have even been on 2 nights out with my university friends! I still have moment where I panic, at the moment I have a chest infection and have had to calm myself down a lot recently due to feeling so unwell but I am coming to terms with it all and trying to focus on my degree too. Thank you for all the helpful replies
    • Posted

Where was our invite to the nights out? Tut tut. smile
    • Posted

That's great! Could you please reveal the title of the book to us?

I hope you get well soon, so you can really enjoy your new found freedom!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.