How can i deal with this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have days where i feel worse than others but for the past 2 iv'e just had a headache from my thoughts just racing all day every day. Its overwhelming me at the minute and my usual ways of deaing with this such as writing down how i feel or listening to music aren't making it go away! Its making it hard to think at all, i have made tiny bits of progress the past week and im back in bed all day again.

Anyone else ever feel like this? usually writing how i feel when it happens and why i feel like that calms me back to normal but its driving me mad, can't explain what i mean its just like my head is racing with negative thoughts and i really thought  was making progress this past week after being in bed for 3 weeks. Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh, I can certainly identify with what you're describing, Jake. As to how to deal with it, let me ask you: are you receiving any support or therapy for your condition?
    • Posted

I am still trying to get myself to the doctors but thats a whole different story as to why i can't bring myself to go.

Just need advice and support sometimes until i am ready to go, i have never asked for help in real life from a doctor or anybody and its hard because i shut down when i talk and i'm not sure why.

• Posted

Ok. Another question or two, then: what are your circumstances like i.e. are you somewhere in which support if available or are you (as I was) in a rural area lacking these sorts of amenities? Are you alone, or with family, friends etc?
    • Posted

Support is available, i just live with my step dad and having a hard time at the minute as being around people who don't understand or know how to deal with me when im feeling low makes me worse. My step dad threw me out of the house this year after explaining why i couldn't get a job, get out or do anything and i kind of lost it with him because he just wasn't getting it. 

I really can't seem to make that first step, i find it easy to speak here but when it comes to even normal talking i try and avoid it at all times. I have tried writing a letter to show the doctor but always panicked before and never went. I tried ringing them but never managed to get the courage to do it. Its a simple thing yet i seem to never manage it.

• Posted

A thought for you to ponder: consider the possibility that what you're experiencing is the result of something that your brain has traind itself to do in situation where you feel powerless and that learning is physically encoded in the neurons in the oldest, most primative and most primal parts of your brain like the amygdala and hippocampus.

If that seems plausible then you cannot 'think' or 'wish' or 'try' your way out of your situation, and more than you can 'wish' yourself to become left handed or make French your native tongue. Patterns of neural connection reinforced by a lifetime of practice have to be 'unlearned' and reconfigured.

There are well-documented t echniques for tackling this. In my experience they have helped a lot.

Curious?

• Posted

Thanks Mick sometimes i would love to read up on it if you can show me, i hadn't thought of it like but that after years it just becomes impossible for me to go and people don't understand.
  • Posted

Hi jake

Sorry you are still struggling, try writing it down on good old fashioned paper, I sometimes just do lists of my feelings to get it out of my head, also this can help for when you do get the strength to go to your GP as you can show him/ her what you are struggling with if you find it hard to verbalise it x 

• Posted

Thanks, not as bad as yesterday but can't seem to get rid of this surge of thoughts that are making it hard to think or do anything.

Spent the past hour listening to music and writing how i feel down but nothing yet, usually works all the time but yesterday was my worst day in some time x

• Posted

Hi jake, I know exactly what you are going through. I am starting to feel a bit better now but the things that have helped me get here are probably the same kind of things that everyone harps on about, but there is a reason for that. 

Firstly when you wake up its habit to emediately think "right how am I feeling" what you really have to do is wake up, get up, get dressed and then just think "right I've done it!" Trust me I know how hard this sounds but once you've done it a few times you get the hang of it. 

Accept ALL the help you can get, I did it all therepy, special exercise programs, help with getting back into work, as well as taking the medication. 

I know it takes a lot of courage to go to the doctors, lead up to it slowly, set a day to make an appointment, write down the number for the doctors and put it somewhere you will see as soon as you wake up. 

There are a lot of other things that help as well such as mindfulness, please feel free to message me any time you like! And I can give you more info on stuff that helps smile 

Lastly please don't ever beat yourself up each tiny step is a massive achievement, and you are doing so well just by getting through each day. 

Sorry for how long this post is!

Jen x 

• Posted

Thanks, im trying to set up a date in a few weeks or something so i can build up to it without the worry of having to do it straight away. The problem with me is that anything that scares me that first step is always impossible even though it could stop me feeling like this!
  • Posted

I can also identify, I'd reach out to the health service in desperation but I never was fortunate to speak to any who were any help. It.was always the same patronising one fits all advice, they seem to think people cause their own depression. I was in an isolated area with financial worries but they couldn't understand that no person can sort it all out on their own' as hard as we try. I hope you can find a good doctor in your area because I've heard that there are a few out there who are dedicated and understanding. Really hope you have success.
    • Posted

Thanks, just getting towards christmas and i was reading what you said as i usually get left alone on christmas so i usually get a lot worse at this time of year x
    • Posted

Hope you soon make the appointment , sounds like you have a chance to start getting better if you speak to an understanding doctor. It's understandable that you feel ill because you've had a lot of upsetting things going on, take care
  • Posted

keeping a diary is a good idea.  It helps the problem reveal itself and eventually go away again.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.