How can i delay TKR for simply 4 months?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all...im looking for any suggestions regarding my left knee.

I am a 50 yr old teaching tennis pro. Five months ago (Dec 2014) i had major rotator cuff surgery on my right (dominant) shoulder. All went well and I was told I'd be back to work in 4-6 months. My plan was to do the surgery in winter and id be ready to go for the BUSY summer season.

My problem is... all of a sudden, for no reason whatsoever. my left leg, from the hip down to the knee has apparently flared up with the most painful arthritis. I can barely walk, let alone think about returning to work.

- alittle history on my left leg...I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee ending with a total ACL replacement about 20 years ago. I KNOW i am bone on bone on my knee but it has never prevented me from working, running, playing/teaching tennis nor any other physical activity. Every 9-12 months however the knee does fill with fluid and my range of motion becomes hampered. But I simply go get my knee aspirated followed by a cortisone shot and I'm ' good to go' for another 10 months. (all the while i am aware that the day will come that a TKR will be inevitable)

The conundrum is I've been resting the past 5 months. I have placed no pressure on my leg the whole while I've been rehabbing my shoulder and there's no fluid build up whatsoever...yet the pain is excruciating!

So as usual i went to the doctor and while no aspiration was needed i had my usual cortisone shot (Kenalog) injected in my knee and also the hip which X-rays showed some minor new arthritis.

Results-absolutely NO relief! My reliable cortisone shot which has been serving me grandly for years had no effect whatsoever.

I then insisted a few weeks later that a different brand of cortisone (depa-medrol) be used thinking my body has become immune to the Kenalog- NO RESULTS!

Desperate i then had a series of "some new lubricant" injected in the knee one injection a week for 3 weeks- NO RESULTS!

Ok..ok i get it the inevitable has come. It's now time for a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) But it's just not reasonable, i can't wrap my head around the fact that while rresting my shoulder...putting no trauma on my leg whatsoever, my left leg, hip/knee is in soo much pain...let alone the idea of having one major surgery immediately after another...ITS JUST TOO MUCH!

Im desperate. I'm looking for answers WHY this is happening...could there be a simple answer im overlooking? Additionally does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do to get back on the tennis courts just 1 LAST SUMMER, then i shall acquiesce and do the TKR.

Please PLEASE...someone help! 😟

Sincere thanks,

TENNIS IN CHICAGO 🎾

David

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

sorry to hear it ,thats what happens cortisone injections only work for so long i had quiet a few but one day it stopped working ,replacement is last resort  i was 54 when i had bi lateral (both) its a hard op and recovery if anything goes wrong which it did for me but having to go back and have one redone after a year and a half and months of physio again im back playing sport my advise to anyone going for knee replacement is to strenghten your leg mussels as much as you can it helps recovery after good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Linda...

Will i found this ad on FACEBOOK called REGENEXX-a stem cell study. Apparently they take blood from you separate some element from it and inject it in the knee.

And Abra-Cadabra, lol, i wont need a TKR!

I know it sounds crazy...but im going to give it a try. I start tomorrow. I'm excited.

Wish me luck!

• Posted

No it does not sound crazy at all. Certainly worth a try. Hope it works for you.

Take care and keep in touch

All the best

Sarah xxx

• Posted

it sounds fantastic i would have gone for that if it had been available i certainly wish you the best of luck .cant wait to hear how it goes about time things advance
    • Posted

Will love to hear how it goes. . too late for this knee, but I've got another one . . wonder if it's any good for hips too!!!

• Posted

Seems to be. Someone on our hip group is doing it right now with great results so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.