How can I gain weight with gastritis/ gerd?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have lost 1.5 stones since March. I have been trying to gain some back but unfortunately it's not happening. Though, I'm glad that it's has remained the same for the past few weeks because I can't lose no more weight. I have tried increasing calories but my diet is still very limited because of the gastritis and acid reflux. When I look in the mirror i really don't like what i see. I try to avoid the mirrors altogether and avoid people I know.

It was easy losing but seem so hard to gain back. If anyone have any suggestions or can direct me please do because it is really starting to depress me. 😔

May I add that I was already small to begin with.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I will also try to benefot from this discussion. Though I am losing weight gradually due to old age and this is usually irreversible. Anyway let us see what is to be suggested in your situation.
    • Posted

I don't think mine has nothing to do with old age , but from the gastritis/gerd. I was just fine until this stomach issue arrived back in March. I have already talked to a Registered Dietiecian and she pretty much suggested what I'm already doing and that's uping my calories and eating certain foods ( those foods are already in my diet.)

• Posted

I'm still struggling to gain weight as well.  Not sure what my weight is in "stone" since I live in the US, but I fluctuate between 168-170 pounds.  I need roughly 2100 calories a day to maintain that weight.  

Are you still having a lot of food sensitivities? A good organic protein powder could be something to try.  Mix it with some dairy free milk and a banana, one protein shake could end up being around 300 calories. Three of those a day along with the foods you're eating now could help get your weight up.  I've look into some protein powders online, I may give this a shot as well. 

• Posted

I am also in the US. I lost 21 pds and I pray that I don't lose anymore. I am doing the smoothie already with bananas and I add other fruit and veggies sometimes. When I was doing it consistently I was trying to gain then I briefly stopped and the weight gain stopped. Though i didn't weigh myself but my family was telling me that I was gaining and I Iooked and felt like i had.

My dietician suggested that I eat peanut butter, avocados, eggs, etc. In which these foods were already part of my diet.

I will try increasing my daily intake of the protein drink. Before gastritis, weight gain was so easy but now it's seem so hard to do and maintain. I am meeting with a naturopathic consultant next week , maybe she can suggest something differently. If so, I will keep you updated. Im gradually trying to add different things but dont want to irritate

it. Another thing, some days my appetite is big and some days I have to force myself to eat.

I was able to eat gluten free bread yesterday before i stayed away from bread. That was a big accomplishment for me! What protein powder will you use?

• Posted

Yeah, keep me updated.  I've always been curious about seeing a naturopathic doctor.  Still thinking about having a food allergy test done because I want to know what's causing this sour feeling in my throat and sensitivity in my chest around my pecs.  It isn't heartburn because I know what that feels like, and this isn't it.  I swear it has something to do with my chest hair.  Sounds weird, but since I shave my chest, I think when the hair starts to grow back in, my shirt tugs on it causing this irritation. The skin around the chest is very sensitive and I wear slim fitting shirts, so that's the only thing I can come up with.  As for the sour throat feeling, can't be acid since I take 60mg of dexilant and my stomach and center chest feels fine.  I've delt with gerd for over a year, managed well with medication and never felt this feeling my throat.  It's either a food allergy or stress/anxiety.  I don't notice it when I'm in the store and I don't get it while sleeping.  Weird stuff.

As for the protein powder, I'm looking at going back to the powder I used while I was working out, it's called Body Fortress.  I got it from Wal-Mart.  Gluten free, tastes pretty good and fairly cheap.  Probably do one scoop with 2% milk, a banana and some oats, maybe peanut butter if I can handle it.  One shake will give me about 600/700 calories.  Probably do that twice a day, on early and then one late.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.