How can I get a definitive answer as to whether I have lupus?

Posted , 2 users are following.

ANA (results 1:640) & dna ds (results 24) both came back positive. I also had abnormal results for cardiolipin. Rheumatologist says I have a mild case of lupus that is currently in remission. Only symptom I personally feel is pain which comes in flares. She also says I have mild arthritis in neck and both knees. Is this enough to confirm lupus? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If the Rheumatologist has said you have Lupus, looks like you have an answer. Lupus can have quiet remission periods. Other conditions existing alongside SLE, such as arthritis can make a diagnosis difficult but I'd say you have seen a Rheumatologist who has looked at your test results as well as symptoms and made the call. Have you been offered treatment and support?

• Posted

So many people are telling me to get a second opinion but from researching it seems the diagnosis is correct... I haven’t been put on treatment Bc I may try to get pregnant in near future. She said she will be monitoring me to make sure my levels stay the same and there is a necessity to be on medication they will have to put me on something. 
  • Posted

It's good that she is monitoring you. It can take a while to get the diagnosis. There are treatments you can take when pregnant. I'm on Methotrexate in injection form, unfortunately that's one to avoid during pregnancy, but there's Hydroxychloroquine and anti-inflammatory treatment that would help with the arthritis too.

• Posted

Is there anyone else you can see if this Rheumatologist is reluctant to settle on a treatment. You shouldn't be sent away without help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.