How can i help him?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My brother is 28 yrs old and a new surgeon ... He doesnt socialize .. Doesnt visit his relatives unless we argue him to .. He would lock himself in his room ... Curse and talk in a snake voice ... He is smoker .. And also a drug addict ... He would spend all the day over the roof or in his room ... Sometimes he would suspect my mother for being the reason that girls regect him ... While mom do all she could to help him .. My father doesnt involve himself with my brother .. If i tell my brother he could work abroad .. He would get very excited ... And he would tell us that every country would wish for him ... He believes that he is very successful and everyone would wish to be with him ... While the others not see him like that .. If he argued with us .. We would win and he starts making nonsense excuses that we feel that there is something wrong with him .. He would suspent our parents of taking his money ... While that money is theirs ... I think it all started in high school ...when he found out that his friends got the same score as him without studying as much as him ... My mom would tell me that when he was young .. He would brag about his score in front of his friends ... He always thinks that the people around him are wrong and the he is always correct and that they dont understand him ... I dont know what to do with him .. I really wanna help him .. He talks to himself in a wierd voice and that sometimes scares me .. If he did it in the evening and my room is next to him ... I would with him about him bringing ghosts in his room but he doesnt reply .. He isnt interested in foing to vacations or any family outing at all .. If we went anywhere ... He would wait for us in the car

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations to your brother for becoming a surgeon! Where would the rest of us be if no one became a surgeon? I've been in and out of hospital for many years because of relatives'/friends' illnesses and am in absolute awe of such people. The effort and hours they put in is unbelievable. It must have taken a lot from him, so maybe just wants some quiet time to himself or maybe it's just his nature. Sometimes people need to get 'stuff out of their system' in their own time before they can move more forward in life, so they can say in the future: "Been there, done that, didn't like it and never ever returning for more". We cannot change anyone, except just being there for them and loving them through no matter what. This includes living the best example of life that you can (in  thoughts, words and deeds) for him - this plants that quality seed in his mind - and that one day will attract him to wanting more and more of the type of life you have. You just need to be determined to be patient with the whole process.
  • Posted

I also applaud and respect your brother for his acheivements in becoming a surgeon.  However i feel it maybe him taking drugs that can be why he is the way he is. I don't know his personality so maybe he is an unsociable person. Drugs can have dractic effects on people. If it's possible talk to him about why he feels he needs drugs, don't berate or critize him and if he doesn't talk don't push him. Is he possibly depressed. 
  • Posted

Then should i wait for him .. Or try to persuade him get medical help
    • Posted

Talk with him first, if he wants help he will ask you to help him get this. You cannot force him to get help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.