How can I help my contact dermatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

During my life I have never suffered with any kind of skin or eczema related conditions other than a very brief period when I was quite a young child.

I am now nearly 32 and have had a new job working in a DIY store for the last year or so. Ever since then I have had bad sores and extremely itchy red skin conditions in various places on my body. 

The worst areas by far are my wrists and the insides of my elbows. Strangely my hands which I hear are normal to be affected have always been fine. It effects anywhere on my body where friction exists but only happens and builds up after being at work. When I have a week off my skin has almost repaired itself completely by the time I go back only to inflame again as soon as I return.

I know the simple answer is to get another job but I actually like this one and am trying to overcome this problem! 

I have tried HC45 and steroids which help but obviously don't get rid of the problem due to work being the issue. I use emollient creams and take antihistamines everyday now and have changed to soap free shower gels which all help but nothing seems to be able to stop the problem. 

Basically what I am looking for now is anything that I can wear to stop the irritants having contact with my skin. 

Is there anything that anyone knows of that I can buy to cover wrists and inside of elbow joints firstly? Secondly is there anything else that anyone can suggest that I could do to help.

And thirdly where can I get these things. ThanksVmuch

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I've had eczema for all my life despite being only 18. I've noticed that my eczema gets really sore and itchy when I'm under stress such as: during exam periods. But, what helps is greasing your skin with a normal ointment that you have been perscribed, for me 'Doublebase gel' helps incredibly. After you've applied this, buy a back of bandages, which are white and stretchy and can be cut shorter in order to adjust it to your arm. I'm sorry, I don't have the name of the bandage, but you can easily go to your nearest pharmacy or to your GP doctor and describe it to them,and they will certainly have it.

I hope this helps, I'm not sure if it will in your case, but I've had pretty bad eczema which has required me to wear bandages, and it has helped alot.

• Posted

It has been found that avoiding wheat is a help.

Also eating pineapple regularly .

• Posted

Also, going on  dairy free diet is a huge help. I found that by switching from cows milk to soya milk and eliminating any dairy product for 10 months, wiped out all my eczema
  • Posted

Hey sam232. I'm replying a bit late to this, but hope I can still be of some help!

I get contact dermatitis on my hands, so a bit opposite to you really! But, it's caused by the musical instruments I play, and I'm damned if I'm going to give those up, so feel your frustration.

Have a look at this website: ________________

They offer lots of stuff, including tubular sleeves and cuffs that might help. It's a bit pricey, but I got some gloves that have been good. They also have vests / leggings to cover yourself totally. Also Google 'barrier creams'. If your skin isn't too sore to put these on, they help create a protective layer on your skin.

In terms of looking after your skin, I'd say avoid soap full stop. Buy something like the oilatum soap substitue. Don't use fabric conditioner on clothes - use Ecover / Surcare liquid only. Use eco-friendly cleaning products at home (less chemicals - good thing!). Don't use anything scented on your skin - so colognes are out. Also sensitive / non-scented deodorant. You could try washing only with Dermol lotion (Dr should prescribe if you ask), as it's antimicrobial and stops any potential infections.

I guess you could ask doctor to arrange patch tests - this will confirm what exactly at work you're allergic to - and you could hopefully avoid it. Although if you're like me, you could be allergic to far too many things to avoid!

Hope it's of some help. Diet could well be worth a go, if you can face it. Often, a reaction is kicked-off by something in particular, but then our wonderful bodies decide they're allergic to many more things, basically overnight! Immune system goes into overdrive. It may well be worth considering taking out dairy for 2 months. Then reinstate if no luck. Then take out wheat for 2 months, again reinstate if nothing. They're the two main ones. Again, GP should organise (or you can pay in a health food shop) for more thorough food allergy tests.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as we do not post links to selling sites. If users want the link please use the Message service to exchange these.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.