How can I put on weight with COPD

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Is this hot weather having a bad effect on you?. Do please tell me how you are coping.

My question concerns weight loss over a two year period due to COPD.  I feel fine and I'm managing my COPD well but I can't seem to put on weight even though I eat a healthy and unhealthy diet.  I'm 72 years young!  Can anyone recommend a vitamin supplement I can take please?

Blessings

Deanne

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am the same I am so skinny had so many tests and everything has come back normal I eat very well in fact too well but I'm still loosing I look horrible like a match stick with no wood on it but apart from the copd I'm healthy since 1999 I have lost over 4 stone and no matter what I eat when I eat or over eat I can not put a Single ounce on

• Posted

Hi

Dilys, Hypercat and Larry,

Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.  Dylis, you have made me feel better in that I'm not alone in this, so thank you so much.  I look like the walking dead, skeletal is putting it mildly.  I keep covered up so as not to frighten the horses!  Hypercat, I know I should have tests but at my age, if there's something nasty, I don't want to know as I feel so well.  Also I have a phobia about appointments and I don't want to sit in a waiting room full of bugs!  Paranoid or what?  I have googled the thyroid thing and I don't have any of the symptoms.  I will certainly go down the build up drinks route though and thank you for that.  Larry, I'm so sorry you have the opposite problem, I don't know which is worse.  Like you, I can't exercise as normal things take a while and I don't even do the shopping, again trying to avoid bugs let alone pushing a trolley!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, you really have helped . Bless you. xxx

• Posted

Hi if you are seriously underweight or losing it still I would ask your doctor to be referred to a nutricianist.  I don't think vitamins will help you put on weight but they could make sure you are not lacking any.  I would have a word with your doctor and maybe it's time to get them tested.

Do you think it's possible you have an over active thyroid?  Have a google at the symptoms.  You can also buy build up drinks which are very high in calories and have all the vitamins and minerals in you need.  Good luck with it.  x

• Posted

There are products that are just for adding weight. I believe that most mix with milk and are then drank. They are loaded with calories and sold in health stores and pharmacies. I agree that consulting your health care professionals should be a part of any plan. 

As for me, I have the opposite problem and have gained weight as exercise and calorie burning activities require more breathing capacity than I'm capable of.  Just performing normal task like bathing, shopping, cooking, etc. are an energy draining ordeal. 

Also, places like Gyms/Health Clubs also know about weight gain products. Contacting one of them might help you to purchase products that could help you. For me, just thinking about delicious foods/deserts and I seem to add weight. 

• Posted

Make contact with the lung foundation in your own country for further advice on this, also check with your own GP.

In UK there is a product called Fortisip, which GPs can prescribe to help weight gain.  No doubt there is an equivalent available in other countries.  You can I believe buy the product online.

In UK the British Lung Foundation can advise further, they have a page on How to maintain a healthy weight.

• Posted

Thank you Vee, I appreciate your advice.

Best Wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.