How can I raise my HDL?

Posted , 3 users are following.

How can I raise my HDL?

I've tried exercising and eating right and no matter what I've tried, my HDL still sits in the 36 to 38 range. All of my other numbers are great.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, does your exercise include strength training? My HDL increases when I lift/ strength train. . 
    • Posted

I do anywhere from 2 to 4 miles everday either on an eliptical or jogging. I go for anerobic so I vary my speed so that my heart rate stays up around 130bpm for a few minutes and then I slow things down and let my heart rate drop to 90bpm for a few minutes. I do some free weights and some machines 4 or 5 times per week.

I'm 62 and in pretty good shape. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. I've lost 30 lbs and kept it off for over a year by cutting my sugar & carbs down to almost nothing. I get my sugar mostly from fruit.

I don't drink much, but I'm thinking of adding wine, which I really don't like, into my daily routine.

Thanks for the reply,

John

• Posted

I forgot to mention, I eat eggs & either sausage or bacon several times a weak. I eat salmon twice a week and steak or a bison burger once a week. I eat lots of grilled chicken and nuts and an avacado every day.

I'm on 1mg of Crestor per day, but that has minimal effect on my already good numbers. I take it because my cardiologist tells me that it has some inflammatory value.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi John, your workouts/diet is excellent.  Our bodies are so wonderfully complex and designed to heal itself that perhaps your HDL is where it should be for you at this time of your life. If you are feeling good, I would try not to worry about the one data point especially since all your other numbers are in range.  

The fat loss is my current challenge so I'm trying to relax over it and make slow changes over time.  I can feel that I have lost inches so I'm trying not to focus on the lbs so much.  

I retired about 6 years ago and I'm still learning how  to relax and enjoy every moment.

Great job on losing the weight which is so difficult for many of us. Thanks for sharing because it gives me hope that over time I will loss this extra fat.

• Posted

John, I forgot to mention that you are doing all the things that I've read about and discussed with my cardiologist to help increase HDL. 👍

• Posted

Hi Mesirm,

Thanks for the encouragement. Have you cut sugar and carbs down to minimal levels? What also helped me lose the weight was that I planted 16 live oak trees in June and July of last year and that helped me burn quite a bit of fat.

BTW, I just ate a great piece of key-lime pie cheesecake. I kinda rewarded myself for running a mile or so this morning.

• Posted

Hi John, I basically follow a modified version of Atkins. Are Atkins levels considered minimal?

Wow, you are very active and planting all those trees is impressive. 

I learned to swim about two years ago which I love.  I swim twice a week, ride bike 🚲 occasionally, walk at least 15000 steps per day and garden.  I know I'm going to burn the fat off eventually. I use to run and allowed my career to take first place and stopped. My goal is to start slowly running again. Glad to hear you treated yourself. We deserve it.  

• Posted

I'm not sure what Adkins is all about except to say that I know it's low-carb. Adkins was pooh-poohed by the medical community and a lot of falsehoods were spread about him and the diet that bears his name after his accidental death.

I have three friends that noticed my weight loss and I told them how I've succeeded in losing and keeping weight off and all of them started doing the same thing and have lost quite a bit of weight, one about 30 pounds by just cutting out bread and sweet drinks.

• Posted

Hello John,

I recommend you to concern with Doctor at , you will get definitely fast result and they will help to increase your HDL.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.