How can i reduce the number of bowel movements on a day ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anyone else found that you poo more times in a day since having a fissure ?

I have a high fibre plant based diet and am taking 2 Movicol a day to soften stools

Since I've had the fissure ( 11 weeks ) my usual 2/3 times a day has significantly increased to a regular 3/ 4 times every morning

Some days a crazy number of times like 6/7

I am generally eating less than pre fissure and have lost about 8lbs bit it's as of my bowel is over stimulated

I had botox 6 weeks ago but it feels like the fissure hasnt got a chance of healing with this level of activity

To make matters worse the botox has left me incontinent so I daren't leave the house until the afternoon and even then don't go far from home

To say my bum rules my life is an understatement !!!

Anyone here experienced anything similar or have suggestions re reducing bowel movements wihout becoming constipated ?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You need to eat less fibre Jennifer, not more when you are on softeners. The movicol will still mak things soft, but you will have fewer bm's a day, give it chance to heal.

• Posted

Thanks Laura

I've had 35 yrs of high fibre vegetarian/vegan diet so reducing fibre seems so alien to me but I will definitely try as I can't carry on like this 👍

• Posted

Yes, I was the same, my normal diet was lots of veg, salad every day. Vegetarian like you, so ate whole meal bread, bran flake cereal, protein as in Quorn,but wasn’t too fussed. I ate loads of fibre always have, thinking it was the best way to avoid constipation as well.

When I tried to cut down on fibre, I found it hard to know what to eat and still do. But taking Laxido works for me, and have got it down to one bm a day in the morning, it’s taken months to get my body into a routine, but it does help, pain wise.

i realised I was just eating too much fibre, and what goes in has to come out!

• Posted

Thanks Laura

I've just been out and bought white bread and pasta which I have never bought before !!!

I have googled a low fibre vegan diet and it's very hard to see all the things I ordinarily eat on the list of things to avoid but I have to give it a try

Fingers crossed 🤞

• Posted

Nooo Jennifer don’t have lots of low fibre stuff and bung yourself up, just less fibre. White bread and pasta in small amounts, things like whole meal rice, and potatoes, eat more carbs. Cereals, but not bran. It’s just about getting the balance right. I missed my movicol two days this week, and I’m struggling now!
    • Posted

Thanks Laura

I had white pasta tonight with spinach and mushrooms so hopefully that's ok

Think maybe I just need to eat the foods I normally do which are high fibre but eat less food generally so that the knock on effect is less fibre ????

And keep on with the laxido

• Posted

Laura

Just wondering how long you've had a fissure and what stage of healing you're at ???

Have you had botox for instance ?

Thanks

Jennifer

• Posted

I had it for years, but didn’t know what it was. It’s more or less healed, but I was in hospital this week and forgot to take Laxido/movicol, and it’s bothering me again. Bleeding due to not eating and drinking regularly for a couple of days. But it will heal in a few days. The colorectal surgeon said I hadn’t got a fissure, until I had a sigmoidoscopy and it was marked on the diagram he gave me.

No, I haven’t had Botox, I can deal with it most of the time, but know what the pains like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.