How can I stop others worrieing about me and Why am I so scared?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I am 18 years old, and for the past few weeks I have been having anxiety and panic attacks, which all in all has been the scariest weeks of my life, and everyday I over think and suffer from different symptoms (physical and mentally) and the last thing I want if for my girlfriend to worry and anyone around me to worry, I have just managed to except it is only anxiety, but it is impossible to keep excepting due to the physical symptoms that it causes. I know I haven't had anxiety for long, but I feel like it isn't going any time soon. If anything I am

honestly scared and I know it sounds stupid but I can't stop crying, I feel so drained.

is there anyway I can calm myself down and stop over thinking? (Without drugs) medication honestly scares me

How long will I feel so down due to anxiety?

Do I begin to adapt and except physical and mental symptoms?

And finally how do I stop my girlfriend from worrieing about me? Because it's so straining on her with her exams and sometimes I can hide my physical and mental problems.

Thank You smile smile smile smile sorry about spelling and grammar

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
  • Posted

Hi! So I've gone through something similar, though it was short-lived. I would see a therapist, they will teach you CBT which is basically a way to manage your anxiety. If you feel down, you may also have depression, don't take my word because I'm not a health professional but what you describe sounds like it based on what I've experienced.

Until you see a counselor/therapist, you have to make a conscious effort to turn your anxious thoughts into something positive and real. Everyone has different experiences and opinions but coming from me, it's easier to accept what your body wants to feel but don't let your thoughts overtake you. Easier said than done but not impossible. I have actively dealt with anxiety and depression for a total of 4-5 years now, I still experience moments when I get overwhelmed or constantly think then I catastrophize (not sure if that's a real word) but I've learned how to manage them so it doesn't take me over and it has been a lot easier to calm my mind down.

While I admire your resolve to not take meds, if you need them, take them but don't stop seeking counseling or working on your coping skills so you can ween off of them if you can, but work with a doctor or your counselor to make that call.

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to include this:

Acceptance is a huge part in this but that doesn't mean to take it lying down. Communicate with your partner about what you're doing to help yourself but I'm not sure if you can completely calm her down.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice smile I have a meeting this Friday with a doctor to arrange a counsoler, hopefully everything will go great. For now it's just trying to stop these physical pains and I need to stop applying them to other medical conditions, because that's another thing that makes me scared and worked up. But slowly I'm managing to except . them, I know it's Only been two weeks but it feels like it's been going on forever ( maybe because lack of sleep ) thank you for the advice, it's nice having some advice, most people I try and talk to think I'm a joke.
    • Posted

Yeah, I know it can be hard but just try to remember that unless a doctor has confirmed it, try not to jump to conclusions. Acceptance can be hard but it's a lot easier. For me, I also had trouble sleeping, staying asleep and going back to sleep so I was on an anti-depressant for a couple of months but then I was able to manage without it after a while, I prefer to depend on myself. And yeah, it's frustrating the attitude people have towards mental health but I know what it's like so I'm here if you need to talk about it.
  • Posted

chill and stop worrying too much about things because that's what makes a situation worse.
  • Posted

Consider therapy it teaches you how to cope.

Start with CBT that is a cheap but effective therapy but some people have to go for a more robust form of therapy

Stay Strongcool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.