how can u tell if Helicobacter pylori had gone?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i was treated with 2 lots of antibiotics about 5 weeks ago for Helicobacter pylori and also been taking lansoprazole ever since, the thing i need to know is how can the doctor find out whether or not the bug has gone if your still taking the lansoprazole? i have 30mg twice a day and i'm still in lots of pain and have all the symptoms i had b4, and these pills are the only thing that helps with the pain but from what i've read it interferes with the Helicobacter pylori test. so would i have to drop the pills for 2 weeks and put up with the pain b4 i can have another test?

i did feel better for a couple of weeks after the antibiotics but then it just all flared up again...i was wondering if i've re-picked up the bug from someone close or a pet maybe?

would be grateful for anyone's help as the doc hasn't really said a lot and i'm so fed up with the pain.

thanks mandy xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

Helicobater pylori

I have been suffering the same as you, it's like reading my story!

I also had triple therapy a few months ago (2 anti & lansoprazole), once my medication was complete I had to wait to wait and see what happened without any further medication. I was great for a few weeks (indigestion only) then my symptoms returned (bloating, sickness, stomach pains)

After seeing my doctor last week I have now been referred to the hospital for a breath test (blood test cannot be repeated as will always show up as positive from now on as antigens remain as previously positive). I have lansoprazole to take in the time being but like you mentioned, I will have to stop taking these 2 weeks before test as they can interfere with the results. Over the counter indigestion remedies can be taken though right up to the test.

If positive result, I think treatment will be alternative triple therapy than before.

Negative result not sure, maybe permanent need for lansoprazole.

Have you been tested for wheat/gluten intolerance?

Hope this has been helpful, its reassuring to know that someone else is in the same position.

• Posted

hi thanks for the reply it's good I'm not alone in this matter (i never though i was lol)

I'm going back to the docs next week and demanding a retest coz i'm pretty convinced this bug hasn't gone.

it's been 7 weeks now, even if it was an ulcer it should have healed.

I've played by the ulcer rules all this time i.e no coffee, alcohol ,spicy food, ect which I'm sick of doing as I'm fighting a losing battle if i still have the hp bug making new ulcers.

in an ideal world i just wish they would give me some different antibiotics for longer to make sure it's gone rather than have to wait another 2 weeks b4 testing then prob have to wait another week for the results.

let me know how u get on with your test and results will be interesting to find out what both our outcomes are i have a feeling we both still have it...what an evil bug this thing is god knows how i got it.

take care and write again soon.

mandy xxx

• Posted

Yes the result of a Urea Breath Test is what you need, theres nothing to the test at all smile
  • Posted

Hi

My doc was the same, refused to retest me so I went with oxford screening (google it) its £25 and a stool test done through the post, I got my results the next day via email.

Mine came back negative but still have symptoms (have been for about 4 months) Ive been reading up on H pyroli and your gut can take a while to heal as the bacteria can do some damage to your gut. Ive cut out gluten from my diet and that helps with the burning and bloating symptoms.

Hope this info helps

• Posted

wow thanks for telling me more about this god awful bug, as the doctor hasn't said too much but is sending me for an endoscopy in 2 weeks time so i guess i'll find out whats going on in there and i think they re-test for hp going to ask them anyway, need to know if it's deff gone as the symptoms are still as bad as ever ie feels like razors in my stomach ever time i eat anything, really bads chest and back pains and sickness but i do find gaviscon clams it down!!!

glad i'm not the only one suffering god knows how i got it, would be great to hear how others got on and if anyone has had it and got over it completely.

• Posted

Could you please update how are you feeling now, as i am in the same condition now adays,HP came back negative but still symptoms remain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.