How can you accept the changes that have come with knee pain?

Posted , 14 users are following.

How can you accept that you can’t play the same sports anymore, work the same job, dance a night away? It’s all really depressing and overwhelming. I’m not ready to say good bye to everything yet..

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Chico’s counsel made me cry too, Maria, when l felt like you. It was crying with the realisation that patience and acceptance were the qualities needed to move forward and experience other good things in life. All best wishes to you.

• Posted

I know what you mean. I am 51 and 12 months ago had my left TKR and 12 weeks ago had my right TKR. I now never feel comfortable in my own skin. My prosthetic knees just don’t move like my old ones but they are not as painful. I feel a grief that I can’t be as flexible as before. I think I must be unlucky with the feeling as I can feel them all the time and never get comfy. I can’t imagine doing body pump anytime soon. 

However the lack of arthritic pain is a relief. 

• Posted

Maybe you need to give them more time. Perhaps they will feel more normal in time, but it is what it is...you weren’t born with them so it’s only natural to feel them a bit off.
    • Posted

Susie,

I’m 53, I can do so much more now with my new knee, I’m 14 weeks post op, still have swelling and get the odd muscle cramp but I’ve  no knee pain. My PT really pushes me and keeps telling me I have a new knee so I can do most things. In some cases it’s the rest of my body that’s holding me back. Yes I know that the bend will only go so far but for the exercise I’m doing the bend works for me. I am so glad I had this op done. Didn’t say that at week 4 though 😊 hope you start to feel like your old self in time x 

• Posted

I don't think I'll ever be the old me. I can't do 75% of what I could a year ago. Gardening is going to be very difficult. Golf, who knows.....

• Posted

That’s so unfair... why can’t we all have a problem free life?! Try to do what you can don’t give up☹️
  • Posted

Maria,

I can feel for you.  I played Ultimate Frisbee for 20 years through several knee surgeries (and other body parts), with a serious club team, and then once-a-week till I had my last knee blowout that ended it.  It was incredibly hard to give up.  It's been over 10 years and I still dream of it and get depressed.  But as Chico said, I found other activities to love, like biking, xc skiing, hiking, a little running (till I couldn't do that anymore), boxing (till I couldn't do that anymore either), etc.  

Finally the arthritis got bad enough to threaten my xc skiing and biking, and I'm not willing to give that up, too.  

I'll never match the exhilaration of making that cut and losing my defense or diving and laying out to snag the disc, but I do have a great life and Chico and the others are right, we need to be happy for what we can do.

I'm looking forward to continue my biking and xc skiing without pain, and maybe some hiking on trails!

Will you have trouble returning to your current job?  Lucky for me mine is  mostly desk, but with some field work I'll have to curtail this year.

• Posted

It’s hard to say good bye to something after such a long time☹️ it’s good that you still have activities that don’t cause you any pain. I can’t find any. All I had was my job and walking, now both of them cause me pain. I have to be on my feet, walking around for 8-9 hours at my job, so I’ll probably have to leave, I don’t think I’ll be able to do it pain free ever again. It’ll be hard to say good bye as there’s people I care about there, but I’ll get to see them outside of work sometimes I hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.