how close can i expect to see

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I had a toric distance IOL put in one eye a few weeks ago, but there was a refractive surprise. It looks like I'm a bit farsighted and having residual astigmatism. I have pushed back doing the other eye while this one heals.

Anyway, I was told to get a contact lens to correct the error until we decide if a second surgery would be better.

So here's my question. With the contact, meaning the refractive error will be corrected, how close will I be able to see? With the error, I am currently blurry at all distances. I am not eager to have surgery until I know exactly how much I want to fix the refraction, which is while I am going to try contacts at a few powers. (ie, 1. Set at plano; 2. -0.50; 3. -1.00) That sort of test run, if you follow.

My doc says I should clearly well from about a meter out set at plano. Is that correct?

I am trying to confirm this online, but I see a lot of different opinions on what to expect of a distance IOL. Sometimes I see claims of blurry until 15 ft, sometimes I see claims of seeing well much much closer, like 3 feet. Both my inlaws with distance IOLs see well up to a arms length.

I have a Tencis, btw. Monofocal. Toric.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Keep in mind if you are indeed only a few weeks after cataract surgery, the eye can still change for a couple months at least, mine sure did.

I got a new eyeglasses RX one month after surgery but it changed after that so I had to get a new Rx a few months after that. The residual astigmatism due to the incision healing can especially change both the cylinder and the axis angle for a few months after surgery.

• Posted

I hope so, Its been 10 weeks so I can hope. My retina doctor said my eye was dry so I am using drops for that. I can see very slight changes so I postponed my visit with the surgeon to discuss if I need laser or not.Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.