How come I'm still feeling so rotten?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been on antibiotics for diverticulitis 6 days but I still have nausea and blood in my poo. Is this normal? Every time I've had diverticulitis before (this is my 4th time) I've been much better in a couple of days. Also, the other three times it was in the sigmoid with no blood in my poo but this time it's in the ascending and transverse with blood, does that make a difference? Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Sorry you are feeling so rough still.  However unfortunately for the majority of us, it takes 4 - 6 weeks to start feeling better.  If your recovery has previously been only a few days you have been one of the very rare lucky ones.  Also if you had no blood before, the attacks may have been mild, whereas this is a more severe attack.

Part of your feeling ill will be due to the side effects of the antibiotics, but partly it will be due to your diverticulitis.  From what you are saying your Diverticular Disease has spread from just the sigmoid colon to the rest of your colon.  DD is a progressive disease and as it worsens, the recovery time from an attack seems to lengthen.  In the past 16+ years my DD has gone from mild to severe and my recovery time from 4 weeks to almost a year.

I am guessing that because you have had 4 attacks and not mentioned a surgeon screaming knife, you are based in the UK.  Here the treatment is take the pills and get on with it.  Have you been given any advice on how to manage the disease (apart from eat more fibre, or not)?  The UK is pretty poor in that respect and you will find this Forum far more helpful.  Are you on a liquid only/very low residue diet whilst taking the pills?  Have you been prescribed daily stool softeners to help keep the colon regularly emptied and as clean as possible?  Have you identified your trigger foods (if any) and eliminated them from previous attacks?  Are you taken probiotics to help replace the good bacteria stripped out by the antibiotics along with the bad?  Or is this all the first time you have heard of these measures?

I suggest you have a good look at the advice offered in the posts on this forum, and come back here when you have any questions.  The good news is that you will start to feel much better, as many will testify.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you! This is the first I've heard of any of this. I'm in the US but this last attack is the first time I've been referred to a GI. I have a colonoscopy next week and hopefully will learn more when I get the results. I will definitely be using this forum for information from now on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.