How common is afib in 15 year olds?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 15 year old boy and I recently discovered that I probably have afib. How common is this in my age? Can it be cured?

It started in the last month, when I felt something strange in my chest, like butterflies below my heart. It also caused a slight tiredness.. I became really frightened and started to look on the Internet about it. Found out that it's possibly afib. Since then I had a few more episodes, and I really think that this is afib, because the symptoms and the triggers are very similar to those that I have found on the Internet.

I know that I should go to a doctor, but what if I won't have an episode when I'm having the ekg? Even if it is a portable ekg, what if I won't have it for a day, or a week, or a month, for that matter? I know that the doctors won't believe that I have afib.

So is it possible to have afib in this age? And if so, can it be cured? It would be awful to struggle with this, as I'm only 15 years old..

Thanks for reading this, and sorry for my bad English.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do please go to the doctor. It may be a simple thing causing the afib, as you are so young. Your English is fine, by the way!
  • Posted

I agree with Rosemary go to the doctor worrying about it won't help, a 24hr ECG may show the problem, it could just be stress related palpitations.
  • Posted

Hi. you do not know, so go to a doctor. You are probably worrying about indigestion and stop reading symptons on the net , very bad for your health.  Good Luck Viktor.
  • Posted

Hi Viktor

I hope you're feeling OK. I too would urge you to go to make an appointment with your GP. AF can happen to anyone but the symptoms can be the same as other illnesses so you need to eliminate what the other causes might be. When I have had ECGs and monitors, even for 3 days, they didn't show up any anomalies - that is why it is a difficult condition to diagnose sometimes and why you need further tests. What is important is to get a professional to look at you, see what your heart rate is, both resting and on exercise. The last alternative would be to go along to A&E when you are having an episode so that they can witness is there and then.

Good luck and do look after yourself. It can be sorted out and the sooner the better.

Kind regards

• Posted

Hi,

Is AF common in 15 yeard olds? Probably not. But that's not a reason to worry unduly. Go see the doc. You may well not have AF when you see the doc but there are all sorts of monitors they can give you these days which can help catch the symptoms. I had one years ago which I kept for a couple of months. It wasn't the sort that continuouisly traced your heart rhythim, it was just a little hand held one that I used when the symptoms appeared, and I could download it over the phone.

I had my first AF symptoms probbaly around the same age as you. Only now and then, and it was my eaqrly 20s before I sought medical treatment.

There are many treatments available including catheter ablation which can potentially lead to a compplete cure, but everyone is different. I had an abaltion 9 years ago, since then I have had very minor symptoms, and so my condition is much better than before the abalation when i was in AF 24 hours a day and meds wouldn't make any deifference.

Don't worry too much and go and see the doc.

• Posted

This may not affect everyone, but can I just mention that, having had afib for decades, starting with perhaps twice a year and more recently occurring several times a day, sometimes lasting a few seconds, other times an hour or more, I started taking Floradix tablets, which contain iron and several B vitamins. I have not had an attack since. Initially I followed the advice of someone else on this site, and made a drink with one or two tablespoons blackstrap molasses,  two teaspoons of cider vinegar and a pinch of cayenne. That worked, too, probably because it contained iron and other good stuff. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.