How common is primary hyperparathyroidism ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I just wondered if anyone has any idea how common it is to have primary hyperparathyroidism?

Thanks. Angela 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I googled the question and got this: "In the United States, about 100,000 people develop primary hyperparathyroidism each year. The disorder is diagnosed most often in people between age 50 and 60, and women are affected about three times as often as men." [footnotes removed.]
    • Posted

Thank you. I guess 100 000 sounds a lot but out of the whole population it's probably not ?!
    • Posted

The statistics were for 2010 when the US population was 310,232,863, so that is about 1 in 3,100 or about 0.035% if my math is correct.
    • Posted

It seems to be less frequent than having both Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Grave's disease combined [which I have] and occurs in between about 0.045 and 0.3% of the population.
    • Posted

Wow. Thank you Fern for the info. I guess it's quite rare then all in all. Amazing statistics. Well done for finding out smile thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.