How dangerous is Diabetes Insipidus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! My sister's been diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus recently and got herself into a terrible depression. She cries all the time, can't sleep, last few days she's been calling me at 5am saying she couldn't sleep all night because she was scared. I am more concerned about her mental state now than i am about Diabetes, trying to calm her down and tell her that there are people who live long and normal lives with this disease, but i don't know if that is true. Can you please give me any information about quality of life of people who have Diabetes Insipidus? Any information will be very much appreciated! Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Has your sister tried diet to control her diabetes? According to what I read, Diabetes Insipidus is not the same as diabetes, but diet may help her condition.

• Posted

Hello Maria, yes, she is trying to, but doctors in China said she doesn't need any diets, which she doesn't agree with because there is lot of information on internet saying that diet is needed. She is in the US now to see another doctor, so hopefully they can explain the diet side of it better

• Posted

First, are you sure it's "insipidus" and not the much more common "mellitus"?

I guess I don't know a whole lot about the "insipidus" variety, but on a quick web search it doesn't look all that horrible. Just having the diagnosis would be a good start.

I suppose it depends on the details of the symptoms, and diagnosis, and treatments already recommended.

• Posted

Hi JX, we were told it was insipidus by 2 doctors in China, she is having more tests done in the US at the moment, but most likely it is insipidus. She will get everything that doctors can give her, but the problem is her depression. The way she's been handling it, one could think it was, God forbid, terminal cancer or something. That is why i am trying to find out as much as possible about how people with the same diagnosis live

• Posted

Hi its Rod

If I had to choose between between type 1 or diabetis insipidis i would take the insipidis any day . I have had diabetis insipidis since I was 11 for 50 years, and started from falling and hitting the back oh my head on a cement step. it does have its chanalges but managble. In the last few years I have had more trouble with a sore abdomin and some chanlges with medication,Are you on pills or nasel spray or both I use both. If using pills try desolving them under your tough without talking laying on you back. I use them as im going to sleep and I find they work much better. Feel free to ask any more questions. God Bless

• Posted

There are different kinds of diabetes insipidus so the impact on your life varies. I have had central diabetes insipidus from a cranial surgery I had 28 years ago. It hasn't impacted my health or quality of life. The medication, I use the nasal spray, is expensive but I live in the US and have good health insurance. It's a hassle to remember to bring a refrigerated medication with me always but I haven't had too many problems.

What are her symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.