How did I cure my scabies? - gone completely

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there. I would like to share my experience of battling against scabies.

It has been a month since i have completed got rid of my scabies and havent had any itching since. It got me 4 months to do it and in this article, i will do my best to share what worked and didnt work for me and i hope that it will help you too.

Here is my story : I was infected by my new roommate who had scabies and didnt know about it. After 2 weeks of his arrival, i also started to itch and had few rashes in my hands and genital area. That time, both me and my roommate did not even know what was scabies disease. I went straight to dermatologist and after diagnosing, he said that i had scabies. I was prescribed 2 doses of permethrin 5%, Calamine lotion BP, Alfacort ointment and Zyrtec(anti allergy tablet). I have applied all medicines exactly how i was instructed by the doctor ( my roommate did the same). I followed all hygienic tasks, like washed bed sheets in 90 degree water every other day, changed my clothes after one time of use and washed those at a 60 degree either. But guess what, after all these efforts, i still didnt get rid of scabies. So after 4 weeks, i went to see my doctor again and he prescribed slightly different set of medicines, but permethrin 5% was still there as it is the main treatment against scabies. I repeated the treatment again, followed hygiene rules too ( my roommate did the same) but the treatment failed again. The same thing happened the 3rd time after going to my doctor. During the first 3 month, apart from what doctor gave me, i tried all those anti itching creams/lotions, tried home made DIYs that i learned from forums and YT videos and none worked. I advice you all not to make any homemade medicines and dont waste your money on tea tree oil or whatever essential oil you heard or read somewhere. They dont cure your scabies! Dont waste your money and time! **Stick to what is proved to work by scientist, stick to your doctors advice! **

So, here comes the culmination part, a treatment that worked 100%! I went to see my doctor 4th time (4th month) and this time he prescribed new main medicine - Benzyl Benzoate Application lotion. Guess what, it worked like a miracle! Before i applied this medicine, i had a thorough research on scientific articles, read about the effectiveness, side effects, and correct use. According to those scientific articles, i found out that it is a proved treatment against scabies and it comes as a second best option after permethrin 5%. So i was confident to apply it on my skin. As doctor said (also written in the label) i applied the lotion neck to toes and didnt wash 24 hours. So, i usually applied it at night before going to sleep, and the next day at an evening time, i had a shower and repeated the application. I applied the lotion 2 weeks every day, although i was told by doctor to use it 3 consecutive days only. I do not encourage you to do the same, i kept applying it because i was afraid that even if scabies dies, their eggs may not and later they might come out again, so i consistently repeated it for 2 weeks. I almost did not experience any side effects, except first time in my genital organ. Dont know for ladies, but lads, please, don`t apply it to your male organ 😉 You can use permethrin 5% just to your genital and Benzyl to all other body parts(this is what i did). Just for reference, Benzyl is 5 times cheaper than permethrin cream and it is widely available.

So yeah, i have stopped feeling any itch from the day 1 of using Benzyl Benzoate. Now, it has been 1 month since i am not using any medicine and not having any itch!!! I am really happy that sleepless nights and depressions are gone.

Just to share what i learned from my research online : there are generally 3 best proved medicines that kills scabies : Permethrin, Benzyl benzoate and Ivermectin. Some may work for you, some not. For me, Permethrin did not work, but the second one did. If the second one also did not work, i would try Ivermectin but thank god it did.

In conclusion, dont go beyond what your dermatologist gave you and always go back to see your doctor even if treatment fails. Do your own research on scientific sources instead of what your auntie or friend advised. Dont lose hope, there is always a cure for scabies. Be consistent and make sure to follow all hygienic procedures.

Thanks for reading.

Feel free to ask any questions the comments.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Cheers!

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm glad you got rid of them. Did you also do all the washing, drying, vacuuming, etc... or just the Benzyl Benzoate lotion?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.