How did you feel whilst lowering a dose?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I’m currently 4 weeks into lowering my thyroid dose by 25mg as I wasn’t feeling too good and I’m wondering how did most people feel when they lowered their dosage please as I’m up and down and all over the place? 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

James, I quit completely on May 14, 2018.  Was taking 50 mcg for about a year and last December upped to 75 mcg.  I have had no repercussions thus far.  In fact, I feel so much better.   A discussion with a few friends had me doing research and what I found and read and all I’m hearing I did not like.   I don’t understand why physicians would prescribe a medication for one problem yet create a half dozen or more problems.  What I have learned is the doctor who prescribed this Levothyroxine never discussed it with me but just handed me a prescription to take and like an idiot I had it filled and began taking it.  I have since realized that I may indeed need this medication BUT there are a lot that needs explaining and checking out.   T3 and T4.   What do these mean for me personally?  

TSH?   Those have never been mentioned to me by a doctor.   Should I see an Endocrinologist?   Does a primary physician have the credentials to know all the factors about this medication?   I am a 37 year breast cancer survivor.  Double mastectomy with reconstructive surgery.   Had 10 surgeries total.    Silicone to saline to gel silicone with a couple flat tires and one went hard in between.  So because of this when I went thru menopause they would not give me hormone therapy treatment to help me.  Like going thru cold turkey.  And I did.  So why would they now want me on this?   I’m sorry.  I’m not a doctor for sure.  But common sense yes.   I need answers.  So I quit this until end of July when my next blood work is scheduled.  See what it shows.  Go from there.  But if I do consider resuming this Levothyroxine there will be lot more discussion on it.  I will not screw up my system taking a slew of meds to satisfy a physicians hunger for kickback and not my health.  Everyone is different.   What works for one may not for the next.  I am concerned.  

• Posted

You have to get all your test results and figure out why you were put on meds and then also increased. You may feel.better but that doesnt mean you are better and not hving enough thyroid hormones.in your system can cause damage allover. Every cell in your body has receptors for thyroid hormones even your brain function can decline. You hvnt been off that.long to really feel what's missing. Get your results. Also, implants can do a number on your body and bring on autoimmune disorders. There's not much kickback if any in rxing thyroid meds they have been around for decades and are fairly cheap. Maybe you needed a dose adjustment.

• Posted

Did you have chemo and or radiation both are toxic and can do a number on your thyroid and other organs. There's no conspiracy in putting ppl on thyroid meds if they need them. If they didnt that would be lot worse and very detrimental. Don't.just take any med given you without understanding or even asking why.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I’m sorry to hear you have suffered also.  I have Graves‘ disease so I’m hyper but have been given the block and replace method.  So I redoing my thyroxine level.  
    • Posted

The Graves ppl.go through a lot especially the ones who had it surgically removed. It just takes time to get to the right dose. Some

hv to remain hypo for awhile.

before they take replacement meds. But it's great to be able to see and hear.these ppl and get.glimpse of Grave's to HYPO. Im outside.now and will. watch a few videos when I get home. My dropping of dosage which I.didnt want was a disaster and almost cost me a job. No anxiety or palpatations or stress just slowly walking through thickened sludge and thinking that the doctor made a BIG mistake at.my expense.

• Posted

Hi James, I don’t know what the block and replace method is. Is that the kill off your thyroid with radiation, then replace with meds?

I’ve seen a bunch of posts on that. You trade one disease for another.  

Hyperthyroid is easier to treat naturally than hypothyroid. Hypothyroid often toggles between hypo and hyper as the disease progresses. The two aren't as different as we think, just different aspects of disease.

• Posted

I had ridiculous anxiety on the meds at all doses. I suspect that the incorrect ratios of T3/T4 causes anxiety, as does too high or too low thyroxin. 
  • Posted

Hi 

When I had mine lowered I felt the same for a while. Before, I was feeling overmedicated. It’s just your body adjusting. I think it was something like 8 weeks before I felt like everything had levered out. 

I presume you will be having more bloods done in a couple of weeks?

• Posted

I’m just over 4 weeks into my new lowered dose and I’m all over the place.  One minute I feel like I’m getting bettter as my heart palps are calming down finally after 15 months of having them and then out of no where I can get a rush and have extreme brain fog and intense anxiety and feel exhausted and need to sleep. 
    • Posted

Yes it’s normal. Give yourself time to adjust. Unfortunately anything to do with your thyroid and hormones doesn’t adjust/ settle overnight. Try to not worry about it or you will worsen your anxiety.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  It’s helped me ease my mind, what a crazy illness this is. 
  • Posted

It’s not really advisable I was told to come off of thyroxine as your body needs it to function are you doing it under your doctors instructions ? Going onto other thyroid meds? Having your bloods checked . I would seek help doing this . 

💕

• Posted

Yes this is under doctors orders as I was feeling overactive and my results stated I was over active.  I was taking 125mg and now I’m taking 100mg but feel all over the place.  I’m having headaches and brain fog and tiredness.  Is this normal?
    • Posted

You are a Grave's AB person who took antithyroid meds that is a lot different than a Hashi AB person with hypothyroidism. You shoukd ask ?s directed to Grave's ppl who hv undergone the same treatment. You can still be reacting from Grave's TSI.ab in your system. Have TSI antubodies tested too. There are also a lot of youtube videos on this topic.

• Posted

Ok, I will next time.  I did how ever post on the hyperthyroidism forum and i got directed back here.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.