How did you get the tests you need?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Thanks for allowing me to join.

I'm 64 years old. I've been struggling with joint pain, low energy, etc. for the past five years. . I've seen at least a half dozen doctors and probably closer to a dozen.  One of them diagnosed fatty liver disease. I'm not excessively overweight, nor am I a big drinker.  Since then, I've lost 20 pounds.  Others have told me I have osteoarthritis and I need to accept it.

In the course of trying to feel better, I just paid for out of my own pocket, four iron tests.  While they all fall within the normal range, there is some indication that I may have hemochromatosis. 

I am pretty desperate to feel better, but I've been put off by so many doctors, I'm afraid to try and fail again.  I'm hoping I can get advice on how to get the testing I need to either get this diagnosis, or rule it out.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If I were you, I would become a blood donar (if you qualify ) and don't mention GH, if you begin to feel better after donating go back to your doctor and ask specifically for a dna test to rule out GH. Stop taking or drinking vit c, alcohol and iron suppliments, eat nothing made with white flour! red meat, liver, liquorice, clams, tuna or raw fish, sugar and starchy food. You want to stop those things, until you get a diagnosis do not add any of the above as they will raise iron storage if you are GH.

Drink Milky strong tea with all food. Whole grain flour isn't fortified so won't make things worse. Double your water intake at the very least hydration is a huge benifit to GH people. If you do not have it! none of the above will hurt you, it will just slow any toxisity if you are storing iron and help heal a fatty liver.

Diet alone won't lower your iron but will stop it getting worse. You will read your diet needs to be balanced and alone will not effect or lower stores. This is true where venesections are being done, (except never take/eat fortified anything) once you are getting treatment (if you indeed need treating) your diet can be relaxed and have the occasional thing on the list but until then the last thing you need is to climb and force damage to happen.

Join or at least read https://haemochromatosis.org.uk/ everything you need is there, and there is a helpline phone number.

There are many things that can cause similar symptoms to GH but I think you need this ruled out. It took 8 years of me being told i was depressed and I was treated as if I was a hypochondriac before I found one doctor who recognised Genetic Haemochromatosis. And that I am afraid is nothing new diagnosis is tough when it looks symptomatically like so many other things. Good luck I hope I have helped.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. What is GH?
    • Posted

Never mind. I got it: genetic hemochromotosis.  Yes. That's what I'm talking about. 

• Posted

The least expensive and easiest way is to do a 23 and me dna test.  You have to buy the one that includes the health ($199 unless you get it during a sale).  One of the genetic tests included is hemochromatosis.  Good luck.
  • Posted

ask for the genetics test. Thats how they found out I have hereditary hemochromatosis with c282y/c282y gene. Ask what your ferritin levels are. If they are above 200 you want to for sure get the test.
  • Posted

Transferrin saturation % is an important marker for GH.  It generally has to be >45%. Otherwise you are not likely to have GH.  You may have high ferritin from other causes, like fatty liver.

Eliminate sugars and starchy carbohydrates to help get rid of fatty liver.

• Posted

Fatty liver has nothing really to do with being just overweight it is more about lifestyle people link the two due to most people who are overweight do have poor lifestyle.

This can be reversed by diet changes but it will take years to reverse depending how bad it is.

By the sound of what you have described you really could benefit from something like Keto diet.

If the ranges are normal that tends to show you do not have haemochromatosis due to at your age they should be off but as others have stated you could pay for gene testing (in uk they will do it free but only if other family member or tests show a problem not sure about other countries)

• Posted

If your iron levels are not high and given your age you won't have hemochromatosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.