How did you get your blood results ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all, I am new to this forum, to cut a long story short i went for a blood test last week as i have been having symptoms such as tiredness, i never seem to put on weight, hair thining, twitching eye muscles, eye irritation, headaches and diahrhoea at least 4 to 5 times a morning for months and depression.

i was actually advised by a mental health nurse to get my thyroid tested.

today i received a letter from my gp asking me to book a telephone appointment to discuss my results, when u called the receptionist said she couldnt tell me my results and that i have to speak to my gp, wich she has made me an appointment for. She said the appointment is a non urgent one, do you think this means my results will be normal or there could be something wrong ? thanks in advance for any advice.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's really difficult to say. How far away is your telephone appointment? Here in Canada, the appointment would be in person because the doctor does not get paid for telephone calls. I can see why you would not get results if you have not spoken to your doctor but I would be annoyed with treatment like this. Here in Canada, once you have a thyroid diagnosis and your have subsequent blood tests, the lab test results are always sent to me electronically even before I see my doc to discuss them, that is providing they are normal. If they are not, then I need to speak to my doc. Before he worked at this particular hospital that works like this, I would always put my Family Doc down on the requisition to receive a copy and I never have a problem getting any results from him. His office always faxes them to me.

I would think if the results showed anything urgent, that they would not be booking a non-urgent appointment for you.

• Posted

HI SARAH

while you are waiting for your appointment take a look at symptoms of magnesium deficiency as some of your symptoms indicate this. 😃 it's an extremely important mineral that's used in around 300 different processes in the body. 😃

• Posted

Hi Leigh25499

Thank you also for taking the time to reply, I will certainly read up on the symptoms of magnesium deficiency aswell. I I just need an answer really, from what you have sugested do you think it sounds more likely to be a magnesium deficiency than a tgyroid probeblem ?

I will keep you updated once i find out as i hate reading posts that dont have a conclusion.

Thanks again.

• Posted

My experience has been that when you are diagnosed with thyroid disease, doctors do not check for vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies and they should because it is known that when you thyroid is running fast as in hyper, that your body gets depleted in these. I have Graves disease and while my excessive thyroid hormone was blocked with the meds I was prescribed, they did not check for these until I asked them to. My TSH result remained at essentially 0 for two years after I was started on Meds until I asked my doc to check for Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine levels, and I was deficient in these. I found out I was deficient in vitamin D as are most hyperthyroid patients and I was low in Magnesium so I took all three of these supplements and then my TSH began to normalize as well. My old Naturopath said he could get all my vitamins, etc checked for a cost of $300. Unfortunately he is not practising anymore so I can't take him up on it. Vitamin D is extremely important as well. See if you can get your doc to at least check these 3. I am fortunate I had cooperative docs when I asked.

• Posted

So thyroid problems can cause these deficiencies then, im sorry you have been diagnosed with Graves, I can imagine its been tough .

If my test cones back normal i will ask them to test me for deficiencies.

• Posted

I am in remission now and I have all my body parts, including thyroid so I have done well with it. My lab results are all within range right where I want them. As long as I avoid extreme stress, I should be okay.

• Posted

Thats great news, i hope you continue to stay in remission.

• Posted

HI Linda, thanks for your reply, its really appreciated, my telephone appointment is not until next thursday but they said if i call tomorrow first thing in the morning i can get an appointment tomorrow. Its a little difficult to do that as i will be at work, i will see if i can get 5 minutes to call though.

It is annoying and frustrating as they dont usually contact you if the tests are normal so this is making me think perhaps something came back abnormal, albeit a minor abnormality. I guess i just want to find out whats wrong with me as i havnt felt right for a few years now.

I wish the health system here was as good as it sounds like it is in Canada !

Thank you again for your reply, I wasnt expecting any and was worried i sound like a hypochondriac ! lol.

• Posted

if you live in the states, you are allowed to get a copy of your lab reports.They cannot deny you your results. They will print them out for you on the spot. The internet is great and you can look these results up and/ or show them here. I could probably be safe to say that these are symptoms of something that is irregular.

• Posted

Hi arlea13920 , I am in the UK , im not sure if they do that here but it would be good if I could get a print out. Yes something just doesnt feel right, i think its the not knowing that is the worst.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

No, but I could have. I got my result through the Internet. The lab sent me a portal link to access them.

• Posted

Hi again

I just wanted to update everyone,

I spoke to the doctor this morning and the test for my thyroid has came back clear. She informed me that my white blood count is a little high but she said this could be from anything minor, like a cold virus or something. She also said i have a folic deficiency so she has prescribed me folic acid for the next three months and said they will test my blood again in three months.

I am relieved its not my thyroid and hoping i will see an improvement in my symptoms soon.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

• Posted

That's good news.

I take folic, too. I have a malabsorption problem. My folic is monitored through my homocysteine levels.

Good health to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.