How did you know you had bowel cancer before diagnosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im on a waiting list for a colonoscopy (im at category 1 no anaesthetic so i may get in quicker). I have had all the symptoms of bowel cancer but still hoping it is not the big C!. Ive been to the dr 3 times and a GI for ongoing symptoms for that have lasted atleast 5 months. Early stages have little or no symptoms, so im a little worried. During the last month i have had constant nausea and now i am on ondanestra pills. I still have constipation and/or diarhea, blood and mucus in stools. Inconsistent shape and colour. Bloated stomach, painful abdominal pain, not cramp just like theres something dead and heavy inside me. Chronic Lower back pain, fatigue, gas pain and anxiety (understandable) dr or gi have never assumed IBS but because im young they are thinking crohns disease, or ulcers. I havent lost much weight according to my scales but im always getting told how good im looking and thin. My husband says hes worried because he notices it too. I dont notice it but anyway. I heard that when you lose weight its usually quite advanced by then. Please comment and let me know your symptoms before you were diagnosed. Thanks heaps it will mean a lot x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Medical websites and dr google sucks lol id rather hear first hand from people that have been through it all.
  • Posted

I'm going through a similar thing rectal bleeding and lots of mucus I have a colonoscopy booked for may I must say I'm actually looking forward to it, I'm sick of not knowing what's going on! I hope you get answers soon

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope all is well with you too Mel xx
    • Posted

Have you got any word of what's going on with you?

• Posted

Hi k1983,

Been going through similar myself. Persistent rectal bleeding ansd some minor changes in bowel movements. Of course the docs(2 different ones) put it down to haemorrhoids as the blood was slight and usually always bright. I finally got booked in for a flex sigmoigoscopy which cam back all clear other than a few small haemorhoids. Been to see yet another doctor now(yesterday) who has taken blood and fecal samples. Something I think should have been done ages ago. Ideally I'd like a full colonoscopy but apparently I don't raise enough red flags!! That will depend on the blood results. Although I haven't been diagnosed with anything and cant give you any comfort I'd just say you're not the only one going through this uncertain and worrying time. Hope things work out ok. Andrew

• Posted

Hi, I am a bowel cancer survivor.  My symptoms were initially bright red blood in feaces, small and light initially, and over a few months progressing to regular blood seen on the toilet paper.  Following this developed very loose stools, ie attending the toilet 3x in one hour each morning.  After a colonoscopy, lab result comfirmed one cancerous polyp, was in surgery 4 days later and had the op to remove the polyp.  I had early detection and therefore a very good long term prognosis, back to normal now.  For me the symptoms - if you are lucky to have them are a blessing - bowel cancer is one of the best cancer outcomes to have if detected early.  I was also given the choice to say yes or no the a colostomy, saying it could be piles.  I knew it was not piles, have never strained passing stools, roughage in my diet all my life.  Hope this gives you a clearer indication about the "symtoms" mainly - blood in stools plus loose stools.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.