How did you know you needed screws removed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondering how you knew you needed screws removed? Did something show in an x ray or was it particular symptoms. Have an app in a couple of weeks to talk about screw removal.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have just had my pins and plates removed. It was the docs who suggested it as I was still in a lot of paid and couldn't get any further with my PT a year after my op. they checked for an infection and gave me a CT scan but they were all clear so suggested removing the majority of the metalwork. It's only been 5 weeks since my op and it feels lot better already. Im still a bit sore but ankle stiff but im doing my physio and it feels less restricted and hopefully will continue to improve

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying.

I'm not in severe pain all the time, but this morning my foot is very stiff and painful to move.

I have to go Nov 1 st to talk about removing the screws.

• Posted

I had physio therapy for months afterwards but eventually they said that they couldn't help me any further and i always felt that the metal was restricting me. I was still taking painkillers almost daily since the break so the doctors said they don't usually remove the metalwork but as it was causing me problems they happy to go ahead with it as the bones had healed. My ankle was usually swollen by the end of the day and still is and it's still stiff when I get up from sitting down but doesn't last for long.

I was just over a year post of from the fractures when they took them out. I'm still in pain but it's definetely not at the level of before and everyone has commented on how better im walking. One of the incisions is more painful than the other but I'm just massaging it as much as possible and using warm water to relax the muscles. Im still doing the exercises and stretches from the physio and im positive that I've done the right thing in having them out.

Good luck with your appointment and if they're willing to remove it then from my experience so far I'd say go for it.

• Posted

How long is the recovery? Was you nwb again?

I always second guess myself. On good days I convince myself it's in my head but mornings like this I think, this is not right I need something for relief.

Glad you are feeling better!!! This foot stuff certainly isn't for the faint of heart.

• Posted

I got taken to theatre at 230pm and walked out of the ward at 7pm the same day. I had a thick dressing and bandages on and a Velcro shoe thing and elbow crutches from the physio. She told me to weight bear as pain allowed and to try to flex it as much as possible. Had to keep the bandages dry until stitches removed. And they gave me painkillers too. I got the stitches removed 2 weeks later and went back to work the following week. I was off work 23 days but when I first broke it I was over 5 months before I could go back, I thought it was never getting better. I wasn't able to drive for 5 weeks this time cos it's my right foot and wasn't comfortable doing emergency stops but am fine now. It was nothing at all like the first op cos nothing is broken this time. i had my appointment at the ortho clinic on the Monday, my pre op assessment on the Wednesday and the next day I had a letter with a date for the op in a fortnight. Everything went so quickly I didn't have time to worry about it.

• Posted

Wow! I hope mine happens that quickly!!

Thanks for answering all my questions.

I guess the unknown is scary!

• Posted

Hi, I think it depends on the doctor.  My doctor told me that I would need a 2nd surgery to take my 2 screws out (the rest of the hardware stays in).  I was injured in May and he said in about 10 to 12 months, he'd remove the screws.  I know that some doctors leave them in, and some patiens choose to not have them removed. 

Beth

• Posted

Thanks Beth,

He didn't plan to take them out unless I have problems. I have been having a different pain in the top of my foot. They thought I had a fracture but it didn't show up so now they're thinking it may be the screws.

• Posted

Please keep us posted!  I sure wish I could have mine out before Christmas, but I know that isn't possible.  :-)

Beth

• Posted

I really hate the thought of being laid up over Thanksgiving or Christmas but they said if it needs to be done they will do it before the end of the year, because I don't want to pay anymore out of pocket.

Thanks again!!

I'll update after my appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.