How did your cardiac ablation go?

Posted , 23 users are following.

I have a cardiac ablation scheduled next week.  A bit nervous over possible complications that I understand are rather rare such as clots/stroke, esophageal damage due to TEE scope, heart damage etc.  I'm a 40 year old healthy male and have had random afib (a few times per year) for several years, but recently I've been in and out of it daily over the last 3 months.  My cardiologist placed me on 2 different anti-arythmia meds and the current one works well, however I have daily afib episodes that last a few minutes and then I'm back in NSR.  The meds give me minor vertigo like symptoms and it simply feels as if I've got something synthetic inside me.  The doc has recommended an ablation at this point.  I'm a pilot and can't go back to work until this is resolved so it looks as though this is the best option for me.  Does anyone know of someone or personally have had complications during or after this procedure?  I'm quite confident all will go well as it's a top end hospital/electrophysiologist, but it's good to be mentally prepared in the event something happens.  Thanks for your input!  

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had ablation 5 years ago; cured my AF as far as I can tell as I do not feel any more fluttering. My electrophysiologist only gave me one drug. More miles on my bike!

As to complications, besides sore throat from camera, I did experience a few long periods, many hours, of high heart rate; twice ending up in hospital. However after three months these ceased and I have had no other problems since. The electrophysiologist told the cardiac unit I was in, that the reason for my high heart rate was basically the heart repairing itself after being "burnt"; it was expected so don't worry (I should have listened more closely to all I was told before my discharge).

• Posted

Excellent !  I am now 2.5 months past my second ablation and feeling fantastic no more Afib!. Did have withdrawal symptoms getting off my Ditiazem 180 mg Slow release through.  It happended twice. Took one Tuesday missed Wednesday took Thursday one didn't take Friday's. Started to feel strange Friday and felt totally rubbish Saturday, drained, spent all day in bed. Better Sunday and better again Monday and Tuesday.  This happened twice as I tried twice and gave up part way through the bad day in the first attempt.  Apparently its a small percentage of people that have withdrawal symptoms. 

• Posted

I'm three weeks 1/2 weeks post abalation. At 2 weeks, I felt it went ok as I was told to expect to go in and out until it settled. Everyday after 3 weeks, I'm in AFIB , so I don't think it worked . I take Sototal 40 BID, PradaxaBID 150. Literature says 3 months necessary but my cardiologist says he will know when I return abt 6 weeks. Higher doses of Stototal cause swelling, and I cannot take the other arrythymia meds due 2 side effects. I understand he ran into more areas when he went in as I've had a heart arrhythmia most of my life. My previous cardiologist & primary did not address my obstructive sleep apnea despite my telling them for almost a year that I was waking up with b/p 190/130. This has led to pulmonary HTN and some left side heart failure. I'm obese and in hospital after abalation my Blood sugar was 350, average is 120 in 3 months. I'm afraid the sotatol has caused diabetes. I'm obese, have mobility problems due to jnjury but will have access to swimming until my heart stabilizes enough for surgeries. Yes I will definitely have a second abalation if available because I understand first ones are usually only successful 60 per cent of the time. I hope u r not as sensitive to meds and it's worth having an abalation if it works.

• Posted

Patricia, 

you mean 'Sotalol' yes? This won't cause diabetes dear. The diabetes is because you're very overweight. If you lose weight and get back to an average weight, I promise the diabetes will go away, and your AF will improve immeasurably. Please dont go the exercise route; the best way to lose weight is through the mouth route. It is easier to NOT eat a slice of pizza/big mac cake or chocolate bar, than it is to walk/do cardio for two hours! 

You are the sculptor-do it, you will love yourself I promise. :-) 

• Posted

Allen. I had a 3 month blood sugar test result 5.8, one Pt too high about 3 weeks previous. I started Sotatol after that & had surgery . I don't think I jumped into diabetes without a trigger & that drug can cause problems with sugar. I do think my blood sugar should have been rechecked as I'm always thirsty. U r correct that obesity is primary factor for type 2 .  I want to lose. I lost 50 pounds in a year and a half & gained 30 in 3 months after taking pradaxa when I developed AFIB a year ago May. If I'm in AFIB everyday that probably means my abalation didn't work. I'm very tired & weak . I'm on 6 lasix a day so I'm concerned I might have an imbalance. 

• Posted

Hi Allen. I am 64 female and had a cardiac abliation yesterday.  I guesss it is my age but now I am in Afib very high.   I sometimes convert on my own but most medicines failed.   I had it at a heart hospital by an EP.   I feel terrible.  They started me on three different meds.  Told me he was going to cardio vert me and so far I am on oxygen and am on bed rest.  Thank goodness my husband is with me.  I don’t want to scare you but I feel horrible.   
  • Posted

Allen.  I had one yesterday.  I am a 64 year old female.   It set me back into Afib.   Had three cardioversions today.   In hospital. Just told me I am in sinus rythum now.  Some people have them and it works great.  My case was complicated.  This started Christmas Eve and have 5 attacks since then.  So my cardiologist and doctors told me it was the way to go.      I pray it works.   Yiu are young and have a great outlook.   Good luck.  
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, I'm having a cryo-ablation on weds...I'm a little nervous but reading this blog has calmed my nerves some. I'm 39 yrs old and have been a cardiac patient most of my life. I was diagnosed with rheumatic fever at 13 which caused mitral regurgitation. I had surgery to repair the mitral valve at 22 then 10 years later I developed afib, 5 yrs later CHF. I've been cardioverted 3x and been on flecainide and warfarin now I take Eliquis and Multaq. I have a special case because of my surgery. So I'm really praying that they are able to do the procedure and I don't have to have a more invasive surgery. Most of all I can't wait for my quality of life to improve. Well I'll post after my procedure.

• Posted

You will do fine.  Good luck and keep me posted.  Are you in USA or uk?  I am in USA.  
  • Posted

Two years and six months later: no afib.  So, I guess I have to say that things did go well!
  • Posted

I am glad for you that your doctor recommended the ablation, I had to ask for one since me and medication don't do well together.

I am 66, female. Had 3 cardioversions, 1 prior, 2 post ablation. Finally I am in NSR. AFib never bothered me but I must say, after shortness of breath my whole life, I am breathing much better, what a bonus! No major repercussions to speak of.

• Posted

i had my ablation last week; honestly, i didnt't feel anything; no pain before or after. It went very well.

However, i still have palpitations after 1 week; i read a lot and found it that this is normal during the first 6 to 8 weeks (even the doctor told me that) and this isn't a sign that the ablation failed. Hopefully will get better in the next weeks .

Good luck with your ablation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.