How did your PMR start ?

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi Everyone, I'm just interested how people's PMR started . Just think it maybe would help the medical pros  on here . 

Mines started at the age of 44. Following a virus myopathy .Maybe before this because for six years before this suffered with bad frozen shoulders and hip pain. Thank you for your input 😃

2 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I now know I had symptoms months I'd not longer when working with back and shoulder problems and kept asking for a more ergonomic chair and keyboard. I also suffered with headaches. The stress was bad and I was exhausted with body breaking down so Dr. Recommended time off work. I know now I delayed the diagnosis because when off work I was at the cottage and swam daily for hours to loosen my muscles that ached.

I then noticed severe pain in fingers then legs hips then toe couldn't walk then shoulders which was excruciating.

Dr on holidays so took till September to diagnosis.

Started on 20mg now 17.5mg and have all the prednisone side effects mainly mood sleep and sensitive during reduction.

• Posted

Yes the side effects ain't nice of preds . I'm sensitive to reduction too. But still feeling pain on 12 and half mg and still get pain ans stiff. One of my hips still hurt bad and both shoulders . I want to do more in the day but find in hard to. People who don't have this diease just think I'm dramatising my pain. I'm taking it that you had to give up work over this bless. I get a lot of stick from my in laws for not working . Which is stressful . They think oh now I'm on the preds im fine and before that they gave me stick as they thought it was in my head . Cannot win lol .  Hope you can get to lowering yours soon and all the best, take care, best wishes , Veronica 
    • Posted

Veronica, your in-laws need to understand that you have a chronic condition, like diabetes or a heart condition, which is not cured by pred.  Your symptoms are eased by pred, but you still have the illness and you can't start to recover unless you are able to rest.  You have a serious vascular disease which left untreated could lead to a stroke.  I don't think my husband fully understands my condition either, but at least he is respectful enough to let me lead my life as I need to.  My children have been the best, especially my younger son. 😊
    • Posted

Hi Anyaga , it's so nice to hear that your children are good to you 😃 

my husband has got more understanding ish but often he don't think, but least he respects me. . It's a struggle for me. My in- laws are just snobs esp my father in law and I feel like a victim of ego trips. He talks as if I chose to be ill 😳 like who in their right mind wants to be ill. He don't like that I get some money from the gov for bing sick. He's always rubbing it in about earning  it.  I use to be a hard worker so he knows I have guilt about not being able to work now.  Them sort of hang ups I are in bedded , so no amount of talking to them would do any good. Even my husband does not stand up to his own father . Bit of a bully I think . Thank you for taking the time in answering me , best wishes , Veronica 

• Posted

Veronica, it's often been said that these things are sent to try us.  Who knows why?  Sometimes I wonder what karma I'm working out.
  • Posted

All the PMR symptoms started almost to the day Oct. 15, 2014 at age 63 with sudden typical difficulty moving, turning, lifting my arms up, walking, sleeping, etc. I had no flu shots nor vaccines. I had moved a heavy boat and dock (over-exertion) but had done that sort of thing for years with no issues. I also found body building, running, climbing, nearly impossible due to new pain. There was some stress as my father died the year before, my mom was/is in advanced stages of Alzheimers, and stress of teaching and husband losing almost all work/debt collectors. I suspect the straw theory (straw that broke the camel's back) in that I already had lichensclerosis, Hashimotos, hypoglycemeia with the added load of herpes, Epstein barr and shingles virus (dormant).  Stumbled upon the answer when a round of high dose prednisone (for poison ivy) cured all the pain.  The 2nd rheumatologist I saw sorted it out after a series of doctors & after I had tried many different diets, treatments, holistic, naturopaths, etc. that didn't work. Now tapered to 8mg Rayos split dose.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents. I lost my mum in 2011 it's hard. . I think we try and stay stronger when we loose a loved one but something gives don't it . My PMR also found out by accident when I had pred for a chest infection . I had to also see 2 rhumatologist as first was very dismissive!  I tried the holistic path too and saw a chiropractor. My husbands idea and I  cried before I use to go to plead with him not to take me! As I knew what pain it lead me each time. As trying to get me to walk good and having pushy i laws didn't help . Now my hubby is more understanding but not so sure about my in laws lol. Stress don't help at all .  Good that your down to 8 mgs. Good for you . Hope you improve soon . Best wishes , Veronica . 
  • Posted

Mine started May 2014 after a 2 week auto trip. I had a gastric flu or something during this trip and the aches & pains I attributed to that never went away. I strongly suspect like others have said, that a virus triggered or at least facilitated this. It could have been waiting for awhile. I did have high stress levels before and during the trip, plus arthritis in various joints.

Now I am on 5 mg pred and 10 mg methotrexate. I have pain in the known arthritic joints but everything else seems to have quieted down for now.

How to avoid? Beats me!

• Posted

I'm glad your on the mend. I think feeling ill is stressful and stress can bring things on either way. I have always taken supplements vitamins and that didn't ward it off. The fast living of Morden day don't help I don't think. Best wishes for your recovery , Veronica . 
  • Posted

Clearly, most of us have different paths to PMR/GCA.

I'm more fortunate than most who are engaged here. My PMR (no signs of GCA) is relatively mild. The worst symptoms were extreme stiffness/pain first thing on arising. Stiffness/pain was almost entirely lower back, quads and inner thighs. It took me many minutes to just get to a vertical position using every ounce of will power to fight against the pain. Once vertical the pain was far less. As I moved around, stiffness/pain eased off a little at a time. By afternoon I could function reasonably well so long as I didn't move in the wrong manner. Once diagnosed, methyl prednisolone completely relieved all stiffness/pain. And even "restored my youth". Felt GREAT. I'm 81 years old.

Symptoms leading up to the very serious stiffness/pain seemed to exactly follow those of "trigger points". There were many nodules in my back that were like tiny spasms. They could be completely relieved by the "right kind" of massage. A really targeted massage could even relieve symptoms for several days. Then massage didn't accomplish anything. Then the full-blown stiffness/pain. All of this build up occured over several months. During this time, in retrospect, I noticed a serious decrease in the ability to exercise at my usual pace. The combination of thigh pain and shortness of breath cut my per-mile walking pace from 12 minutes per mile to well over 15. (Immediately after prednisolone I even improved my pace to a good 11.25, but that didn't last very long.)

Eileen has said, "It is almost certainly a vasculitis (inflamed blood vessels) affecting the very small blood vessels called capillaries which are found in the muscles and that leads to reduced blood flow and poor supply of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles - they don't work as well and the reduced blood flow doesn't clear the products of metabolism away as efficiently. This all leads to the poor muscle function and aches and pains after overdoing it - like having done really strenuous exercise." That is almost precisely the description of what causes "trigger points".

It seems clear that, WHATEVER the original and continuing cause might be, the adrenals are directing pro-inflammatories toward specific locations. Those locations are typically bilateral. And the locations vary from individual to individual.

• Posted

That's how I felt with the muscle , like if I had done weight lifting. The more I tried the more I felt weak and achy though. I guess it effects people in diffrent ways. 

The body is attacking its self is what it boils down to. You sound in good shape of an 81 year old , good for you . All the very best on your recovery , Veronica 

• Posted

Before diagnosis I tried physio and for the first time physio made me worse, not better. With pred I am able to do most of what I did before, but my stamina is basically non-existent. 
    • Posted

physio was worse for me too  . I cried before I went every time this was before I was digonoised . My husband force me to go ! He thought I was being dramatic then... I don't have any stamina either. I tend to have afternoon naps just so I can get dinner done . It's frustrating isn't it  .
  • Posted

fairly stressful,moving most days, stopped for prolonged rest before last 4 months of 3 year traveling. Hadn't felt quite right for a month or so but thought just general wear and tear and wife also tired. A change to "cleaning and polisihing" which became more difficult over a few days until almost impossible. Typical "can't lift arms above shoulders. Sharp local pain in upper arms. Massage made it worse. Difficult to drive, change gear painful. Imagined everything from some form of repetitive strain to trapped nerves but pain somehow different. Also went from endless walking in steep hills to very limited. Step length reduced due to stiffness at tops of legs and overwhelming tiredness after a couple of km. Every step a huge effort.

Lots of injectons for travel three years earlier. A couple of minor chest infections but nothing within a few months of pmr onset,

• Posted

Another active person before on set.  Gosh massage made mine worse too.  Thank you for your input . All the best for your recovery , Veronica 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.