How do I?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer with, apart from other conditions, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, anxiety, depression etc.

Can anyone help me with the best way for me to describe how bad my pain is to my GP?  I don't know if she just doesn't know how to help me or whether she actually just doesn't believe the constant pain I am in.

Thank you in advance

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hiya blubell welcome...if I was you I would research fibro, print it some info and see your doctor forearmed.,we have to take our health into our own hands..most of us have suffered from fibro CFS + other autoimmune conditions for years before diagnosis.. Rumotologists are the drs that diagnose it..ask for a referral, hope you enjoy googling..you will get soooo much knowledge youll be the expert..lol. there are some really good information sites out there, just be careful your research is not being backed by some pharmacutical company or other..be blessed gentle hugs, have a lovely day...where are you? I notiiced you wrote this only 3 hours ago..im in Australia..😍😚😚
    • Posted

Thanks for the welcome smile I've had Fibro and CFS for 30 years. Have been formally diagnosed by a Rheumy and several doctors. I have done loads of research over the years. I think part of the problem with my GP is that I know more about Fibro than she does!

I am on loads of strong pain killers but am still in pain. I can't seem to get through to her how badly this illness ruins my life. 

I'm in England and the weather is horrible but not too cold for a change 😊😊😊

• Posted

Ive heard that the weather is pretty bad over there at the momentIve had fibro for over 30 yrs too..my mistake..I hought you were new to fibro...sooo wrong....do hope you get some info that will help you Bluebell..be blessed..😘
    • Posted

I'd love to know how you manage your Fibro. I am very grateful to you for your reply. It's my error. I should have said in my post that I've had Fibro for so long. I kind of managed it for many years, but since a major trauma I just can't cope with the constant unrelenting pain anymore. 

All the very best 😘

• Posted

Truly understand what a trauma can do, with having fibro too

Im just off to bed..ill type tomorrow😃 nite nite xxx

• Posted

Hi Bluebell. I've started to write everything down before an appointment and present it to my Doctor! This I applies to most health problems as I believe if it's written they and myself will understand better what we're having to deal with. It helps to keep a pain diary too for chronic pain illness'. Detail dates, times, activity before and after , even foods etc! Best wishes Ellie UK rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi ellie

Thank you so much for your reply. I was just thinking last week that perhaps I should start to keep a diary of pain, etc. I do take a list with me sometimes. 

I'm going to start a diary today. 

Thanks again for taking the time out to reply to my question. 

All the very best. Blue UK 

• Posted

Hi Blue, hope it works for you too. It did for me last time I saw my GP. I was sent for scans, blood tests and now waiting for hospital appointment. Sometimes we have to be a bit more assertive with our Doc's as they seem to think of nothing but the Practice Budget these days with all the NHS cuts and problems. Best wishes, Ellie UK
  • Posted

Hi Bluebell21 You could describe your pain to you dr on a pain scale eg 1-5 5being your rolling around in agony. Try explaine what the painnis like eg sharp stabbing pain burning pain. keep a diary of all your symptoms and how bad your pain is each day it helps if we have a good gp who listens and cares. take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.