How do I avoid getting chest infections

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed with Bronchiectasis last year because of regular blood in sputum. I am on regular antibiotics 3 times a week, but have chest infections needing a different antibiotic for 2 weeks. How can I stop getting so many chest infections when people in shops, buses, cinema, church etc. are coughing, sneezing, etc. I don't want to be a hermit. What do other people do? I cannot walk very far because of the breathlessness and back problem, so that is no option. Would appreciate any suggestions.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Janet

It looks as though you are following all sensible steps and I wish you well and hope that Bx treats you very kindly. As far as possible, self-management helps greatly along with precautions to keep well, avoiding great risks. When the next flu epidemic finally strikes, we shall all have to become

hermits, mix with no-one and not venture out of a warm atmosphere. I have a regular flu jab too, but scientific evidence is rather mixed on its effectiveness. It relies on the manufacturers having good advice on the flu strains that are prevalent. It appears to be something of an inexact science. I also had the pneumonia vaccine but pneumonia can be caused by many viruses and bacteria. Sadly it did not stop me getting pneumonia ( once ), which grew out of a heavy cold, so presumably the vaccine was for the wrong bug. I would still recommend it and now take extraordinary precautions against colds. I find "first defence" works ( a Vicks over the counter remedy ) together with zinc and vitamin C suckable lozenges ( Orange pack ). As I have always been prone to 2/3 colds a year this really reduces that and greatly minimises the symptoms of the one a year that I do still get. I find it essential to start prevention after the first sneeze which for me heralds a cold. 

• Posted

Dear Janet

i would not wish to disagree with Charles's view that pneumonia is just a chest infection. Generally it is just that but with the volume turned up but may well also be life threatening and in some, a killer, particularly those already vulnerable.  I have some experience of it and in others, and it can appear as many other chest conditions. It is worth a read of pneumonia on Wikipedia . This is not meant to be a differential diagnosis but a chest infection can occur without feeling too ill and sometimes can be diagnosed during a routine visit to a GP. My experience of myself and others is that pneumonia comes with no doubts of its severity. An escalating temperature and shivers and difficulty breathing are very real warning signs but there are others too, all fully explained in the balanced article. As always good medical advice is needed and severe symptoms do need immediate treatment. Of course with some, the Bx can feel bad enough so if in doubt seek prompt help

• Posted

Thank you also Broadsword, I will take a look at the Wikipedia.

Janet

• Posted

Dear Broadsword

My intention was not to dismiss pneumonia as just a chest infection because I am aware and have nursed many poorly people that have died of pneumonia which carries off lots of elderly people each year and was known as the old persons friend. I was trying to explain that pneumonia is a chest infection but not all chest infections are pneumonia.As described in wiki it is an infection of the alveoli whereas bronchitis and tracheitis are other examples of inflamation and infection of the tubes that carry oxygen down to the alveoli.

• Posted

Dear God    

Whether you be in the form of Charles or indeed the mighty Broadsword, thankyou for the in depth look at pneumonia, always a worry, nearly killed my brother having double pneumonia. And me in my old age with this damn Bronchix with asthma thrown in for good measure. Keep up the good work gentlemen! Talking about God, he visisted me and said "David come forth for eternal life" sadly I came fifth and won a toaster.

• Posted

Dear David

Am sorry to hear you only got a toaster but I hope it was a Dualit toaster as recommended by Which and Good Houskeeping magazine. I am sorry that your brother was poorly with double pneumonia which is infection(severe) in both lungs.The lungs consist of 2 lobes on the left and 3 on the right so having double pneumonia must at least involve  both lower lobes and this means 2/5 of the lungs capacity not functioning properly.That is if it only affects the 2 lower lobes but it would probably affect more than those 2.

I always worried when I was younger (having read books) that I was not going to survie into old age and would succumb to brain abscesses and bleeds until I met someone in thier 80's.I am also lucky that mine is mild and only affects a single lobe on the left. It appears to help talking but I do hope that I am not depressing anyone.Keep well and be possitive.

Sorry Janet I didnt intend to steal your discussion.

charlie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.