How do I break the cycle advice please x

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone my anxiety flared up bad yesterday after I believe was caused from excessive alchol consumption Saturday night then staying in bed all day yesterday letting anxiety win and take over me then not sleeping hardly any last night bearing in mind anxiety never stopped me sleeping before so I thinking clitropram alcohol lack sleep bad combination. I managed work today was a struggle but did and walked home fine came in had sweet cuppa watched a bit TV coz I was fine I stayed put then when I started feelin bit blah I did some housework, I was doing well kids came home was fine tonight I started to feel blah thinking my chest hurting whic I know it's the anxiety my heart racing whih it's not and a bit nauseous, my children are down watching TV I now having a soak trying to relax, but my thing is been doing so well for so long has this blip yesterday and this morning and now it's like I anxious of being anxious as I can't shake it any ideas greatly appreciated xxx thankyou

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

And Also the head pressure like I can't relax my head and feeling light headed like I am going to faint wen though that's never happened and dr said it's highly unlikely for it to happen in anxiety
  • Posted

I agree with the alcohol usage as it is a depressant and therefore counteracts the effects of an antidepressant used for anxiety.

I listened and asked very good questions of my psychotherapist since I have a nursing background and here is some of the things I have learned. Usually higher doses of antidepressants are used for anxiety. I started out with 150mg of bupropion XL which worked for awhile, but then had to increase to to 450mg daily, for instance. 

Also I learned that the medicines start to work at about 2 weeks, but at 3 months is when you are to feel the full effects. This also leaves room for you to discover if the medicine effects have tapered off, warranting an increase.

One can increase Citalopram up to 40mg per day. If you are already at the max daily dose you may ask your general practitioner for an additional medicine, such as bupropion XL 150mg as an adjunct. 

So besides the alcohol usage, if you have had other instances of you feeling not quite right, there is a good chance you might need an increase. Talk to your doctor.

Good things to know:

Unfortunately, citalopram, like other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), can interfere with libido. When this occurs often doctors prescribe buproprion. Bupropion works on the neurotransmitters dopamine and nortriptyline which somehow counteracts some of the side-effects of an SSRI.

• Posted

Thankyou for replying I am only on 10mg of clitropram and just started my 3rd month on them today. I have been ok on them just a little wobble (as I call my anxiety) here and there. I also went back to work today after a week of leave as kids on half term, hubby been home for 6 week with bad back he went back today so subconsciously I wonder if this has a little to do with it also as I am aware after work there's no one home till after school etc I work 8.30 till 12 x it's like now I have had my bath and feel like going to bed to watch a bit TV but am I letting it win by doing this x
    • Posted

No you are not letting it win because you are already doing something to not let it win, by chatting about it with people who have been in the same situation.

Just reiterating, since you are on a very low dose of citalopram, there is room to increase to really target those wobbles.  

After some TV, go for a walk. Exercise works by increasing serotonin naturally. 

• Posted

Sorry I live in a different time zone, it's late for you. But you had a walk today from work, so that is good.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your help and yes I defiantly think see gp about bit of increase I just hate the thought of going through the side effects again. Also I have a dog so I walk her twice a day and walk to and from work so walking isn't a problem for me I enjoy it and does help on wobbly moments after I get over the jelly legged feeling !!!
    • Posted

Aww right I didn't think about time zones and yes it's 9.30 pm here that's why go to bed watch bit TV takes my mind off it all before I sleep. Yes today walked home

From work it's a half hour walk was a knightmare and a struggle but I did it, this where I won't let it win by staying home or not walking I have also walked the dog tonight, I figure no matter how hard I got to keep going and pushing through even though today has been rough I am exhausted and drained tonight thankyou so much for talking to me thou really appreciate all the help x

• Posted

The side-effects will not be the same as when you first started the medicine. Milder perhaps, or you may not have any. 
  • Posted

hi you have read my mind to day am exactly the same, alot of drink in take on saturday, stayed in bed all day yesterday dieing and now today am feeling weak, shaky and a gaspin sensation down my body, i fel like am just going to drop sad how do you actually convince your self its anxiety and that your not dieing. ?
    • Posted

Hi Hun I think I get through it because the feelings are the same on any anxiety attack just depends how we read them. Also I hade anxiety before but came off the meds too quickly hence why I have it back so all the feelings and physical symptoms are the same no matter what. Usually I don't dwell on them and I just carry on proving you not dying because the feelings so pass just for some reason I held onto the feelings and I have made myself anxious about being anxious xx
    • Posted

yeah i started comin off them aswell thinkin i was gettin better and didnt need them lol .. obviously not ! when its in my head its so hard to get it out nut i be fine wen i get in to bed lol .. ill just sleep it off and tomarrow is a new day x
    • Posted

Exactly Hun every morning when I wake up I have for into a habit of saying new day today is going to be a good day because.......could be anything but always positive. Also my day can be really crappy and as soon as I get to bed I watch bit TV and feel better so I am making a cuppa and going I a minute I think it's co my bedroom was my safe haven when I first had anxiety when I didn't know what the hell was happening to me I snuggle under quilt watch TV kids or dog snuggled up just always made me feel better xx
    • Posted

And after a hard day dealing wih anxiety I always find I am shattered anyway so dose off easily lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.