How do I bring up a new medication to my psychiatrist that I tried illegally?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Approximately 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with a few mental disorders: Cyclothymia, PTSD, and OCD. I know for sure that the PTSD dx was accurate, however I've always kind of questioned the Cyclothymia and OCD dxs. While they made sense, they didn't feel like they fit if that makes sense. I've been really struggling in my classes lately and since it was the end of the semester, I was desperate. Someone I know gave me a few Adderall and, at first, I had absolutely no intention of taking them. However, I got that desperate. I took half of one (so 10mg) and every. single. symptom. that I have ever complained about (outside of the PTSD symptoms which are sporadic) disappeared. Those symptoms are an inability to focus and feeling like everything is overwhelming OR hyperfocusing on one specific thing and not being able to do anything else. I'm now wondering if a) I was misdiagnosed or b) I should try to bring up trialing an Adderall prescription to my psychiatrist. If I do decide to bring it up, how do I do that without sounding like I'm just a college kid trying to get Adderall?

I also don't know if this is the right group to post this in but I figured it was worth a shot.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.