How do I come out of depression that comes and goes? Its so difficult?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys

I hope everyone is well.

I'm a 25 year old guy and cut a long story short I struggle with bouts of depression that seems to hit me whenever I get recollections of my weaknesses and failings from the past.

Recently an old friend from uni got in touch and when speaking to him I got hit with sudden fear and depression because I feel inferior to him when we used to hang out before. And I remembered how he was always better than me at work and achievements.

Even though I am doing much much better now, that feeling of weakness and bad comparisons suddenly hit and it has completely swayed my concentration and happiness now.

How do I get over this? Please help.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,  firstly may I say no one is better than you, we are all very different, and work at different levels of achievement, have you ever sat and thought of your achievements,  and if other people have achieved them, don't compare yourself with anybody, we are all individuals, that's what makes us special smile 

• Posted

Hi Adam

First of all don't be comparing yourself to him. You're your own person, with your own values and talents. Think about all the good things you do and have achieved. Comparing ourselves to someone else is a neverending vicious cycle that stops us from being truly content. There will always be someone better or someone you're better than. There's no need to worry or focus on this. I know this is difficult. I don't know about the depression. I'm still dealing with it. I reflect on my past alot too. All in all I hope someone gives you better advice. Just remember you have your own achievements. Just an example here, "maybe you are good in soccer and he's not." Those who we compare ourselves too have flaws also. They are not as perfect as they may seem. You may be good in something that he is not. 👍

• Posted

Some food for thought....I bet when the old friend got in touch it was because he thinks of you fondly and wants to rekindle the old friendship and become lifelong friends.

I used to be the ultimate perfectionist, beat myself up ALL the time. Then my Dr asked me, "Do you expect your friends and family to be perfect ?" I thought about that and answered "no, of course not" " nobody's perfect'. The Dr looked me straight in the eye and said...."so....Why do you expect yourself to be perfect??"

After thinking about that...I had to admit that I was always setting myself up. After many years of training myself,I have come to accept that sometimes I will fail, sometimes I will succeed, and sometimes maybe even excel . 

It is never easy to change our thought patterns but it can be done.

I know this is long winded and maybe not a lot of help but know that you are not alone.

I think one of the reasons some of us suffer from depression is because we are VERY empathetic people,because we care.

You will be in my prayers.

God Bless

• Posted

Hi Adam - he wasn't/isn't better. He's just different. You can do things he can't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.