How do I controll my binge drinking

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello! I just need some advice really. Im 22 years old and I really struggle to control my drinking when I go out! I don't drink every day and not even every week! Maybe once a month. But when I do go out for a few drinks me and my partner always make an evening of it as we don't go out much. I used to be fine with my drinking (just waking up with a normal hangover and probably been sick the night before) but ever since I have had sepsis every time I drink now I cant stop in the way that if I have 6 drinks for example and im probably merry by then I just keep going until I black out (not physically but don't know what im doing or saying) this has got quite bad as it has caused huge arguments and fights with my partner and family and I want this to stop happening. I don't want to STOP drinking completely at 22 years of age as when me and my boyfriend go out the first part of the evening is lovely and we have a proper laugh together and I love having a drink with him but its always the last hour or so just completely turns! Its his birthday next weekend and he really wants to go out with me and says "we will have a lovely evening just control your drinking" but it isn't that easy, and now I have really bad anxiety because I really want to go out with him for his birthday but im terrified im going to ruin the evening (it isn't always like this by the way just 90% of the time, sometimes I can go out and im not that bad at all) Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to still have a good time, get merry but don't get black out drunk?! thank you in advance.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

The best advice I can give to you is, perhaps have 1 drink then soft and repeat.

I'm an all or nothing kind of girl and believe me, I've had many arguments with many people.

My problem is, it became my dependent so I have quit for the time back to get out of the habit and drink on a more sociable level.

Kerianne

• Posted

Thank you, do you know if this actually works? a soft drink in between? only I will definatley try this but I have said this before and when im actually in the moment I think "im fine" and just want to drink alcohol as I like the feeling of being tipsy so it never happens!! haha. I just wish I could drink normally like other people and have a good time without ruining the night  sad

• Posted

It's like talking to myself here. smile

I would not drink on his birthday evening. If you feel it will result in arguments. You won't be able to relax as you'll be too afraid that an argument may occur. Weigh out the pros and cons.

I think we're the unfortunate ones where alcohol does not agree with us. I get over excited that I'm going out (as I hardly ever) and all I want to do is drink, drink drink; and once under the influence, I can't control it. I never drink to the point of being sick, but it gets that way.

• Posted

Oh its rubbish isn't it! and I know but that definatley not happen if were out in London on a Saturday night and everyones drinking and having a good time there is no way on earth I will not drink lol! I just really need to try and control it, ill just try and drink soft drinks in between x

• Posted

Have a look at The Sinclair Method section of this page:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

I've read the story of many a binger that found The Sinclair Method helped them steer clear of the blackouts. 

Aside from that, Kerianne's suggestion is a good one, slow down the pace. There seems to be that line that binge drinkers cross after which they're "off to the races" and they lose control. You need to find that line and stay well south of it. This may be "X" number of drinks or it may be your Blood Alcohol level. If you go to Youtube and search on:

Lundbeck Mode of Action

You'll find a video that explains a bit about what happens. You need to become very aware of when you're numbing the frontal lobes to the point where the STOP message gets silenced or drowned out. 

• Posted

Hello ADEfree, I am also on Selincro, and all i can say is that it DOES work! Unfortunately some of the side effects aren't so nice, (a bit zombie like) but they say it goes away after a few times of taking it. I have only used it twice, but it removes any urge whatsoever to drink. I haven't even tried it wth alcohol yet, because I can't stomach the thought of trying alcohol while on it. One has to say goodbye to the "feel good buzz" but I rather say goodbye to that, than have to be horribly sick with alcohol withdrawal symptoms and feelings of guilt and remorse after blackouts. 

• Posted

Yes, Naltrexone seems to have milder side effects, but people do seem to get past the side effects with Selincro too. Glad to hear it's having a positive effect for you. With respect to The Sinclair Method, it requires that you have at least one drink after taking the medication and waiting the required time, so what you're doing isn't quite in line with that, but I'm very glad to hear it's working for you in any case! 

• Posted

Dear Brooke, first of all let me tell you that you are not alone in this, I know exactly how you feel. I have been in your situation so many times. I am 33 years old, I first started having black out about 7 years ago, and progressively they got worse. I don't drink every day, I can go months without drinking and I do not miss it, but there is always that time when I go to a big party (like you I don't party often) and my drinks get out of hand, I will leave the party before I get too out of hand and continue drinking at home or the hotel, even when my boyfriend doesn't continue and tries to get me to stop. I am a binge drinker as well. The next morning I wake up feeling very sick and to avoid the horrible alcohol withdrawals symptoms sometimes I have carried drinking from the next morning onward, up to 3 days like this. I get to a point where I am so sick I can't take it anymore and I stop, stay many days in bed sick, and on 2 or 3 times have gone to the hospital to help with the withdrawal, so trust me I know this is not fun. I have recently tried the medicine Selincro. Please do some research on it, but it does help cut down on your alcohol consumption a lot, even completely in my case. I know we all love that "buzz" alcohol gives us, and how happy and friendly we become in the first stage of the night, but in my case that changes after exceeding my limit. I hate waking up in the morning not knowing the things I have done or said. Its even more embarrassing and heartbreaking for me hearing the horrible things I have said to the people I love. It is if a complete other person took over me, because I can't believe I have done such awful things. I have come to the point where I realize I can't control my drinking without having medication or being completely abstinent. I tried many times to control it and a few times I was successful, but eventually I won't relapse into a binge drinking episode again. For me the physical and emotional pain is not worth that buzz. If your boyfriend doesn't realize by know that you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, I think you should speak clearly to him and ask him to help you on this journey. Some people are lucky to be good social drinkers, but in our case I believe that is not possible or we are playing with fire. You have to stop pretending you can control this and stop justifying yourself because it is not your fault. It is a disease and it affects many people. I recommend you speak to a doctor about this, and investigate your options. Read about Selincro and let me know if this helps. I wish you the best in this journey and remember you are not alone in this. 

• Posted

Girrrl, I will tell you this. I'm 32 and I noticed this when I was 22. If you don't get a handle on it now - it only gets worse. I'm a year sober now, but let me tell you I wish I had listened to that little feeling of "something's not right with my behavior" that is making you seek outside advice. 

One I think you could absolutely benefit from some counseling or therapy. Many places offer sliding scale and if you're in school you can often get free therapy that way. Binge drinking and black outs are a sign you might have some suppressed emotions or something you're not dealing with internally that's manifesting in a need for escape. 

Two, I think it was almost impossible for me to just "cut down" when I was your age because the climate of partying at that age is one of excess. You're not going to dinner with him and having a glass of wine. You're probably taking shots, having mixed drinks, dancing, etc. You're going to have to make some solid decisions and judgements about your friends and boyfriend - and if they are adding to your life - or encouraging destraction and self destructive behaviors.

At any rate I wished I had taken these signs more seriously at your age as I then started using alcohol more often and as more of a crutch. All those falling down drunks you hear of or see and say "Well that's not me! I just like to party!" - how do you think they all started out? Just something to think about.

There are a few ways to limit your alcohol intake when you're out. Absolutely NO hard alcohol. At all. Ever. Have few beers, have some wine or champagne... and have a 3 drink maximum. 

Eat and hydrate beforehand. One glass of water after every alcoholic beverage. Only one beverage per hour. 

Hopefully you're an exception and it won't get worse before it gets better - but I think that is going to take some serious self reflection, willpower and maturity on your part.

Best of luck to you!!! smile 

• Posted

One year no drinking is amazing. You have given great advice for certain an speak from experience.
  • Posted

Hi Brooke, you've already he'd some good replies.  I would say an absolute "no" to shots and cocktails because you drink the first which is a very high percent alcohol really quickly, and the second tastes such fun but is probably several units of alcohol per drink.  Eat well either before or while you drink.  Drink water in between alcoholic drinks.   Go out late and cone home early.  All of these would help you to drink much less on his birthday.  But long term I suggest seeing your doctor and getting help to control your drinking.  While you're young enough.  Before you get to the point of physical and health damage and can never have another alcoholic drink ever again.  I wish you all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.