How do I cope with the excrutiating pain

Posted , 14 users are following.

Diagnosed over a year ago with Cervical Spondylosis (or Degenerative Disc Disease as my doctor calls it).   I have little or no life now.   I have had every medication they can think of.   Only thing that worked was morphine with a concoction of other meds i.e. diazepam, paracetemol, anti-sickness tabs etc, Only problem is morphine has to be increased on a regular basis.   Now on 60mg tabs twice daily with oramorph 3-4 times daily.   I get very little relief from pain which rules my life.   I am at my wits end.   Doc now want me to try tablet called Duloxetine 60mg whcih is used for neuro pain in diabetics but I have read it has terrible side effects.   I am afraid to try it.   Has anyone else been prescribed this and did it help the pain.   I am also seeing private doc but so far it is not helping.   I am often screaming with the pain in my neck and even when it calms down a bit I am left with severe pain in both arms, shoulders and hands. Depression sets in often as I am unable to do any of the things I used to.   I cannot lift anything heavy (even my little grandson) .  Any form of housework is a no no and my social life is almost nil.   I had my driving licence revoked from DVLA because I am on so much morphine (could hardy drive anyway because of the pain). Although I am 67 up until a year ago I had a very active social life with only severe headaches.   Now my pain rules my life.   Good to find this site and let off a bit of steam as not many people understand this type of pain (Ihave had two children and childbirth was nothing compared to this kind of pain).Would be good to talk to others and find out if anything helps their pain.   Been to pain clinic and physio neither of whom could help me.  I feel I have been abondoned by NHS.   My doctor is sypmathetic but is struggling to help me.   Tried ice, heat, baths lidocaine patches (even an alcholic drink on occasion) but nothing helps.   Anyone out there help me please?   

3 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Carol

Hope this post finds you well (as can be expected)!! Well i have been down for a couple of  days as i have seen my consultant and he said there is nothing else he can do for me!!! No more medication no injections nothing tried everything!!(I am a lost cause) My words!! Dont no what i thought after 49yrs of pain every day must of thought there was going to be a magic pill or injection that would at least give me  some respite from the pain even for a couple of hours?sad Anyway i was really down but i dont want to go there again still not a 100% but i will pull myself up again!!! No good dwelling on it if there is nothing they can do there is nothing they can do.Trying hard not to cry at the moment i am feeling sorry for myself? Anyway how are you  and how is poppy doing? Are you able to take her out and if so are you ok!! Have you been to your dances anymore? Did you manage to talk to your family? If you still feel depressed ask your GP if he can refer you to see a pyschologist. well i have rambled on long enough and hope to hear from you soon

so take care hun

jeanette xxrolleyes 

• Posted

HI jeanette

So sory you are down.   It is soul destroying when you have a little hope to have it dashed like that.   I have given up hope of a cure, maybe hopeful that there might be some medication that will help but that seems to be dwindling fast.   I take it a day at a time.   Bad days I  cry sometimes scream with pain and take as much meds as possible to send me to sleep so that I do not feel the pain and that is no way to live.   Good days I enjoy as best I can.   I don't hope any more.   My little puppy is helping me more than I had ever thought she could.   She is settling down a bit now at 3 months and knows when I am ill.   She just jumps on my lap, licks the tears from my face and cuddles into me.   She just knows when I'm down.   She's the best thing that has happened to me lately.   We bought an elecric bed and i think it is helping.   I sleep sitting up and can get my neck into a good positiion so that I am not in as much pain in the mornng.   Social Services are looking into  helping me with costs for a spa bath to be put into my house in the hope it might ease out my pain.   I will try anything.   Not dancing much but still go when I can,  Waiting on result of op on foot.   Last three ops were cancerous but caught in time so hoping this one will be the same.   I have days Jeanette when I cry  a lot.   I try not to as I know it upsets my partner.    But we are only human and can only take so much.. Doc wants me to have anti-depressants but I don't see the point,   I am on 30 pills and morphine daily as it is.   I don't want more pills to make me sleepy and out of it.   I really hope you pick up a bit.   I have really bad days and then get myself back on track again until next time.   Don't think there is much more we can do.My little Poppy is wonerful.  She makes me laugh at her antics and I take her for a walk about three rimes a week when I am not too sore, along  with my yougest daughter and her labrador.   We meet lots of other people we know with dogs so it has opened up a new life for me.She is a gorgeous little dog, all flluffy in white and pale brown fur, her face a bit like a spaniel and she is full of life but so very undestadning for such a little puppy.   I love her to bits.Jeanette I so hope you pick up again.   I know how you feel and it is not a nice place to be.That'swhy I got Poppy.   I knew I had to have something else to focus on rather than myself and my pain.   She is lying next to me on the couch at the moment cudding in while I type this.   What more could I ask for?    A loving little cuddly friend who helps me take away my pain.   Hang on in Jeanette and enjoy the good days when they are there.   I am thinking of you.

Carol xxx

• Posted

Hi Carol

Poppy sounds adorable and she seems as if she is doing you some good even if it is just slightly!! I have kept myself upbeat but as you say some days are worse than others.As you know i have a good family and i can talk to them  more so malcolm but for some reason i just told him the bare facts maybe until i got my head around it!! But i am not giving in just yet i have my friends from pain clinic we meet up  once a month for lunch so i am lucky i can still go there when we meet up we have a bit moan put the world to right moan about our pain and then eat lunch!! lol (after we take our tablets)lol  I know there will be no cure for me but i will pick myself again and carry on cant do anything else really can we!!! I hope the results for the ops on your foot is good news.I amglad your bed is doing you some good it might be expensive but if it does you good and you can get some sleep it is worth it.  I have had some really bad days a few years ago and i dont want to go there again. I have a good GP who is also sympathetic and who listens he does not fob you off. I am happy poppy can make you laugh we have to grab it with both hands while we can (laughter) because some days it is few and far between!! I have been offered antidepressants and i refused to take them but i know some people need them.It is just if you get that far down it takes a while to pull yourself up but ever the optimist. You get tired of taking tablets but still always someone worse off than me!! Well enough of me rambling on and this site is a god send somewhere you can moan/ramble on and no one minds.rolleyessmile  so keep laughing Carol and hope to hear from you soon

jeanettexxx (give poppy a hug from me) xx lol

• Posted

Just thinking about this aspect of our troubles, where we attend appointments almost expecting to encounter the 'blank' response.  Do we feed into it by lowering our expectations, and not wanting to put pressure on our advisers when we assume they maybe don't have appropriate answers.  I think that happens,  and I think it's easily recognised by our advisers, thus letting them off the hook when it comes to offering advice. I don't think it's acceptable that, with a non-fatal condition,  they should ever admit failure....there should always be a programme available to fall back on,  even when they admit they have hit a brick wall.  Perhaps we're all complicit in allowing them to adopt the 'blank' approach,  but really it should be questioned.  They know that ethically they are entitled to adopt a non-helpful approach where the research shows that there may be no reasonable options to suggest.  But that shouldn't relieve them of any responsibility to think constructively about the issue they are confronted with....'do no harm' is all well and good, but it was never meant to be a mantra for not exploring further.  That brick wall needs demolishing, otherwise the next generation will also become vulnerable to professionals relaxing their commitment to finding solutions.

Excuse the rant........on second thoughts, don't excuse the rant, because that's just me doing the very thing I'm ranting against !  It just should never be that anyone returns home from a health appointment feeling abandoned.  

• Posted

Hi Gerry the neck

I dont know what i thought when i came out of the hospital after the consultant  said that. Did i feel abandoned i dont think i did because for me i have been doing it for for 49yrs looking and hoping he said he will stay in contact with me if i want to ever see him again. I think what it is they and myself have tried everything under the sun to to speak. When i cleared my head and started to think clearly i understand a little bit because where do you go what do you do (treatment wise) now!!!  

• Posted

GerryThanks for your thoughts.   I often feel the NHS has abandoned me one way or another.   I am sent to one clinic,   They see me a few times, try some new tablet, they don't work, try some more, they don't work so they send me to another clinic and we go through the whole process again.   No-one has a cure, few have sympathy and I always feel I am left to cope as best I can on my own.   I don't think they want to admit that there is no cure for our condition or any more help that they can offer us so they just tell us to go away  or send us to another department.   I haven't given up.   I have worked my way through numerous hospital clinics.   I haven't been cured but I have come across the odd health worker who has sympathy and offers to give me as much help as possible.To date that has taken the form of numerous tablets and machines, discount on electric bed (which does by the way work although is expensive), a wheelchair which someone has to push for me as my hands don;t work, taken away my driving licence as I am on too much morphine and replaced this with a Blue Disabled Badge, offered to look into a fitting a spa bath in my home with an 80% discount, given me a carer.I have had to push for all of these things over a period of 2 years.   No-one came and offered me this help.  I had to do my own research and plead with my doctor (who by the way is extremely sympathic and helpful thank God).   Don't just accept that there is no help for you.   Do your own research and go to any clinic/hospital who will offer you help no matter how little.   I accept my condition is inoperable and incurable but there are aids and people who can help me through this horrendouse painful illness.   Just keep searching and you will find someone who is willing to get you as much help as you need,   Sometimes we need to help ourselves.   Rant over Gerry.   Thanks again for your thoughts.   Made me think about mine,   Take care and don't give up.

Arran103

• Posted

Hi Carol

Just a quick post to see how you are and how is poppy coming on? Did your spa bath do you some good? Are you still getting out with your puppy for walks? Do you still go to your dances? All these questions lol Did you get the results about your operation on your foot i hope it was good news Well you take care hun and hope to hear from you soon

jeanette xxrolleyes

• Posted

Thanks for the thoughts. I may have been a little misunderstood on this....I went through that whole sense of feeling abandoned years ago, being shuttled from one professional to another, and very little useful advice being offered etc etc.  Seems we must all go through this seemingly never-ending process, like some kind of torture for even bothering them with our complicated problems !  Maybe to the point where we have to say to ourselves 'enough is enough, if the answers are coming from that source, perhaps I need to do some thinking on how I can best manage myself'.  Have to admit, I sometimes wonder if they are just playing it out, knowing they don't have any good answers, until we eventually back off and stop trying to remind them that they too have a responsibility.  I see the meds as an easy outclause for them, rather than as a necessary crutch for us......i.e.  the meds resolve them of the responsibility of having to think more constuctively about the whole C/S thing.  And, are we being complicit in that by assuming thats all they can offer, and thus feed into the common to both false expectation that maybe that's the only way.  The meds are the 'new kid on the block',  posing as some kind of instant relief....which we all know simply isn't true.  We're all suckers for that notion,  and that makes it easy for the professionals to see they only need to feed that desire and they feel relieved of any pressure to deal with this condition in a more thoughtful manner.  Personally, I feel, despite absolutely knowing the dependence some of us have on meds, that the desire for some quick fix actually gets in the way of rationalising the problem.  The meds can't 'unthreaten' a nerve, they only mask the resulting symptoms...so that process seems never-ending.  Anyone committing to that is fine by me, they have my sympathies,  but when reading the posts here, I'm continually asking myself...'Is that the only way ?'.  I see an equation evolving which points to people gradually being overcome with a sense of abandonment by those who are best placed to advise, and then allowing a sense of 'no amount of meds is enough' to enter their approach to managing their condition.  Just makes me wonder how people used to manage C/S before these neurological and pain-gateway drugs were even conceived.....and we're talking only 20 to 30 years here....less than the time span of my C/S experiences.  Let's be honest...If the meds were worth their salt,  there'd be no need for these postings !

That might seem a little harsh considering I'm familiar with the problems,  but I don't think it should go unsaid considering the exalted respect for meds which seemingly is the way of many C/S posts.

• Posted

Edit last post......read as 'enough is enough,  if the answers are'nt coming from that source etc '.

Could'nt find a proper edit button.......?

• Posted

PS....again..../

Just wondering.  Is it possible that the amount of meds that anyone feels might be necessary bears a direct psychological relationship to the amount of abandonment they sense from those they rely on most....their professional advisers ?  If that were the case, it would all boil down to the professionals creating a dubious need and then fulfilling it.....which might satisfy their need to feel they're doing something,  whilst, at the same time,  ignoring the real issue....how to improve our understanding of best ways to manage our condition.

• Posted

>> Thanks for the thoughts. I may have been a little misunderstood on this....I went through that whole sense of feeling abandoned years ago, being shuttled from one professional to another, and very little useful advice being offered etc etc.  Seems we must all go through this seemingly never-ending process, like some kind of torture for even bothering them with our complicated problems !  Maybe to the point where we have to say to ourselves 'enough is enough, if the answers are coming from that source, perhaps I need to do some thinking on how I can best manage myself'.

Gerry. I really don't wanna go trough the same process as you smile I'll freakin' do everything in my power, use every bit and pit of my mind (and there's aplenty of either one of them :P) to make this awful thing of cervical spondylosis go away. This isn't exactly how I planned to live my life, in short, the idea was about curing cancer and me being on the other side (i.e. the one who never gets cancer :P), therefore what I find myself into is kind of a far off deviation from my original thought. Kind of a completely opposite of it, except not entirely: I don't have cancer, I'm not from the other side, just Vulcania (which only was other side for imbeciles who canot read words (like Romulania today, for instance :P)).

Might have sought up a bit more of a beer than strictly necessary so please excuse my grammar and excuses, but I have a feeling you know what I'm talking about :P

Cheers.

If that's even possible :P

• Posted

Not sure I do fully understand what your'e saying.  But I'll attempt a guess.....C/S comes with its own distorted default mindset. It continually challenges and conflicts with our expectations to simply have a reasonable and manageable quality of life.  At the core of that C/S mindset is a large grey area of creeping despondency, which in itself, would be enough of a challenge to come to terms with,  despite the other more physical symptoms which we must endure.  I'm inclined to think that by always wishing for a return to some kind of 'normality',  we tend to exaggerate the negative aspects of our current experience....it's almost like we consciously create the contrast between 'normal' and 'not normal', and, in doing so,  we sense the negatives more acutely.  Hope that makes some sense !   For me,  the trick for overcoming that unhelpful overview is in acceptance that the C/S has introduced a new 'normality'  which contains all the negative aspects,  but not in a way which only contrasts with what might have been.  A lot of the distress and frustration associated with C/S seems to emanate from a desire to want to feel 'normal' again,  and that can get in the way of positively exploring all the available options,  particularly self-management options which the advisers are not necessarily familiar with.  I'm at the point where I don't want to take advise on neurological symptoms from someone who has never experienced neurological symptoms......without experiencing the actual dynamics,  I think they're really only guessing.  I'd sooner trust my own assessments,  and try building some self management techniques on what I know.

So,  I view my C/S as my 'normal',  and that seems to make it easier to positively explore different 'home based' methods to ease the symptoms.  It's a good feeling to discover that the symptoms can be controlled in some small way,  without always relying on outside interventions only, and without playing a 'game of death' with the disappointments of unreal expectations of some return to a non-C/S 'normality'.  

• Posted

Yup, the new state of things resembles this joke a bit (adapted from other context):

Question: "Is this normal? Is this pain normal?!!"

Answer: "No, it's not normal. Normally it would hurt more".

• Posted

Or even the same thing with a reverse twist......." What's the difference between a 'major' and a 'minor' surgical operation ?".....Answer...."Well, everyone else's operation is minor !".  Seems to be a pre-requisite description for describing C/S associated symptoms....maybe because it's so difficult to put words to the complicated symptoms, it's only natural to want to emphasize the distress, just to get the message across.  I think it's probably one of the stumbling blocks to good communication between patients and professionals, and possibly even between patient and patient.  I'm not knocking it,  I just think that it maybe encourages a 'backing off' attitude, which in itself can arouse a sense of unrequited trust, or give rise to a frustration that the condition is not being understood properly.  Well, with C/S, there always seems to be something missing in translation. That's probably got something to do with trying to compare neurological symptoms with more straightforward injury symptoms,  and the two simply can't share the same understandings. Neurological symptoms have their own rulebook, and those unfamiliar with its exotic dynamics probably have little understanding of the protective nature of many of the symptoms.  I'd even go out on a limb here, and say....most painful symptoms associated with C/S are the result of protective measures adopted by the neck to ensure that a threatened or trapped nerve, or nerves, are not threatened further.  Seen in that light, it might look like the symptoms are 'on our side',  and without them we could be in worse trouble !
    • Posted

The purpose of pain is to protect the organism from injury, afterall. In an acute setting, one avoids to do the thing that caused the pain, and the pain eventually goes away. The problem with chronic pain is that it never truly goes away. One is usually tempted to lye down or slow down, so the body gets time to recover, but the recovery never comes and seems like the worst thing one can do related to spine issues is to cease moving / mobilizing it.

I'm trying to find some effective exercises I can do which lower the pain and discomfort, because definitely too much or the wrong ones can do more harm than good. So far I'm taking 2-3 daily walks where I'm looking around so my neck doesn't stiffen. Other exercises: standing still, I'm moving my head up/down several times then left/right. Also something with a rubber band to mobilize my upper body muscles. No miracle so far, my body never returned to the pre C/S state, but they seem to make the condition more tolerable.

What about you, did you do some specific exercises all these years or just lived them naturally?

• Posted

"What about you, did you do some specific exercises all these years or just lived them naturally?"

Combination of both really, with greater emphasis on the natural way, or just what feels right.  Intuition is a great thing really,  especially where the complications of symptoms don't help our advisers to get to grips with the issues,  intuition about what seems to work best is probably our best tool.  If my neck is particulatrly stiff I'll do the usual head rotation and up/down exercises to try to get some flexibility going,  but I'm very careful about never passing the point of strain.  The only exercise I've ever found to give some instant result is stretching one arm out horizontally, and twisting hand clockwise/anticlockwise repetitively.  It 'cracks' the shoulder and neck joints and restores more comfortable flexibility...but it only works when the neck is recovering from a stiff phase, not when it's entering one, nor during it.  Otherwise,  my focus is more on avoiding the triggers....Don't look upwards, no jerky movements to look behind,  no overstretching with arms (particularly above), no lifting anything too heavy etc.  Basically anything that strains the neck should be avoided if possible.  Add to that, the quickest way of all to relieve cyclical symptoms, is to alter sleeping/napping postures (sleep on sofa, or whatever).  The symptoms change with sleep posture alterations, sometimes they disappear completely,  and it's just a matter of remembering the most suitable postures for future use.  That works best of all for me.

"The purpose of pain is to protect the organism from injury"

That's something I'm more than a little interested in.  I don't necessarilly agree with the purpose you describe....pressed for time just now, but will offer an opinion tomorrow.

• Posted

Don't know what happened with above post.....I clicked a few times because a red notice appeared saying 'problem with server'. Eventually it posted....I'm innocent !

And so to my delayed response to:

"The purpose of pain is to protect the organism from injury".

That's a pretty good definition for the purpose of 'pain'.  It covers a lot of angles....but it also misses some.  It's called the Cartesian model (after Rene Descartes), and it has been accepted for 500 years as a philosophical true model.  It's based on the 'hand approaching a flame' theory which says that the pain intensity increases as the threat increases.  It works for most straigtforward injuries,  but unfortunately falls short on referred or radiated pain,  on imagined pain (as in Phantom Limb pain),  and on the non-requirement for pain whilst we sleep or are non-conscious.

In the last 20 or so years there have been new theories put forward by the top pain scientists (or pain speculators) which dispute the Cartesian Model.  They suggest that pain is an 'emergent construct' of the conscious mind, is different for each individual, and is vulknerable to many influences (memory, conditioning, assumptions etc). As such,  they say that there is no direct linear relationship between a pain and an injury,  and that any patient is vulnerable to constucting their own sense of experience of any pain event, wheter 'real' or 'imagined'.  THat is the current theory taking hold,  as explained in the book 'Explain Pain' by Butler and Moseley.  These are the top dogs in the field at the moment, and many Physios adhere to their overview.

I'm inclined top disagree with both theories, and particularly with the recent one,  because they just don't tick all ther boxes for me, especially where referred pain ( described as a malfunction),  and pain-free sleep (no explanation at all from either camp) are concerned.  So I'm leaning towardfs a description of the 'purpose of pain' being  .....'Pain is a tool, employed by the autonomic protective systems (nervous system and immune system) to confuse or restrain the conscious mind from reacting to any injury or threat innappropriately'.  By that,  I mean....we know the autonomic systems respond to threats/injuries constantly, 24/7, and we know they always attempt to heal....so,  they must somehow ensure that their efforts are not negated by our conscious interference.  We are capable of consciously worsening any threat/injury situation by, for instance, applying dirt to a wouind, and our protective systems need to be protected from such interfgerence.  So, a perception of pain is created in the conscious mind to slow down, or restrain, our conscious deliberations before any bad decisions can be made.  What instigates the creation of that pain perception is another question....my guess would be the nervous system.

All getting a bit heavy-duity there. Hope I haven't given anyone a headache for nothing !

• Posted

I'm weary about labeling pain as 'imagined'. In a leaflet I read recently, 'The Intractable Pain Patient’s Handbook for Survival', by Forest Tennant, I noticed this paragraph: "The worst deception these days is the fraudulent pitch that pain can be cured by stopping all medications. As if the control is the cause!! The vast majority of chronic pain patients have pain that responds to rather simple, common forms of pain relief such as massage, chiropractic, and non-opioid drugs. IP pain is different. Only potent pain relief measures are effective."

At some point, opioid medication may become the only option...

• Posted

Agreed. Intractable pain (IP) will only respond to heavy meds.  Same is probably true for many chronic conditions in the later stages.  However, there is usually a reluctance to go down that route until all non-opioid options have been exhausted.  I've actually heard, don't know how true it is,  that med quality opioids have the least side effects of all meds...except for the dependency they tend to create. It does seem that many people with chronic pain might be better relieved with opoids rather than having to trawl thru' a load of different meds which only offer semi-relief.  I've even heard that many professionals are addicted to opioids, possibly resulting from their easy access to them, and apparently they function quite well on them....again don't know how true that is because it's unlikely the information would be volunteered to support the 'accusation'.  Definitely there's an unwillingness to prescribe until desperate, and that increases the power held by the professionals.

Personally,  I've had Oramorph, which is an opoid,  but only when I couldn't sleep with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (another referred 'mimicked' syndrome caused by C/S).  It did what it said on the label, and helped get through the worst phase,  but I didn't like the next day after effects (too disconnected).  I'd rather attempt to function if at all possible without a blurred mind.  I suppose, at the back of my mind I'm thinking that heavy meds will mess with my normal toleration levels, and I'm unwilling to test that theory.

• Posted

"In a leaflet I read recently, 'The Intractable Pain Patient’s Handbook for Survival', by Forest Tennant, I noticed this paragraph: "The worst deception these days is the fraudulent pitch that pain can be cured by stopping all medications. As if the control is the cause!! "

I'm a bit dubious about that quote.  Seems a bit 'black and white' to me,  almost like there's no middle ground to play with.  I wouldn't write off 'control' as a contributing factor to easing pain so readily.  Some might see 'control' as some sort of regimented strict denial of symptoms....but that's not 'control',  it's just denial,  which is a totally different thing.  Control is really about having a meaningful understanding of what the complaint is,  and using that knowledge to devise and adopt a strategy for dealing with it.  It doesn't necessarily mean having to adhere to strict rules which don't allow other options of exploration.  I'd say that a sense of control evolves from studying the problem, and becoming familiar with its contrariness,  and that sense of evolving control can effect the perceived intensity or toleration of the symptoms.  What it does, is give a sense of dealing with the issue in a third part way, almost like it's someone else's issue,  and that's probably the best way of perceiving it because any decisions about how to manage it are likely to be sensible.  In a way,  we becopme our own best advisers ! 

• Posted

From what I read on opioids, looks like they can bring a pain rated above 7-8 down by 2-3 points. Kind of from infinity (10) back to agony (7-8). Don't know how well they work on lesser pain. What about your experience with Oramorph for TOS, Gerry? From what level to what level did the pain change? And do you think you could achieve / have achieved a similar level of pain control without medication?
    • Posted

No.  I couldn't have eased the pain, just to get a good sleep,  in the way the oramorph worked.  I had the TOS for 3 months,  and the the few nights I took oramorph really helped to dull the symptoms,  and the resulting good sleep, I'm sure,  helped to kickstart a recovery.  No doubt.  Although, the day after taking the meds,  I found that my toleration levels were a little more vulnerable....once the effect wore off I felt I had less resistance to pain than usual....don't know if that was psychosomatic or not.  I've still got half a bottle of the stuff,  but I haven't really felt inclined to use it for lesser aches....not particularly keen on the 'zombie' effects.  Maybe I'm just not the ideal; candidate for addictive substances !  THere are levels of pain which need the meds, no argument,  and discerning the criteria for deciding what grade of meds to take is a tricky business indeed....we're always going to favour more over less,  just to ensure a result....and maybe that's the problem.  Perhaps the only way to control that is to always be mindful of the possible toxicity repercussions....but I know that sometimes even that leveller flies out the window when the urgency demands.  As someone with a 30 year history of taking painkillers,  I know only too well how that can lead to other unwanted problems,  and so I feel obliged to always point out the possible negative effect that relief usually has a price attached.  If we voluntarily dismiss that possible outcome, then we are not behaviong rationally,  and I think that's a huge issue for anyone who is desperate for relief.  What seerms to happen is this....we don't want any possible downsides to interfere with our desire for relief because it might taint the newfound joy of that relief,  so we make a conscious decision to ignore our misgivings.  I'd worry that that's something which can spiral out of control.  I also wonder how people managed before these 'wonderdrugs', which haven't really been properly assessed long term due to their recent introduction...I'm talking about Pregabalin, Gabertin, and combined painkillers there.  To me, it looks like those meds are still on trial,  only those trials are being conducted in the general population,  with us as guinea pigs.  Perhaps that saves them from having to fund us as volunteers at the same time !  I've read Ben Goldacre's  criticisms of 'Big Pharma',  so I know IU'm right to be apprehensive. 
    • Posted

Toleration levels seem to get decreased as the body gets used to opioids. I read a story about a guy who scrambled his back then started taking codeine then morphine to dull the pain to his level of 'comfort', did that several years until he decided to get operated as the pain was too high in spite of the medicine. Well, after the operation they gave him morphine. Problem is he was practically tolerant to even those high levels so they did nothing for him. For weeks, pain perception was near to what would a normal person feel on a back operation without anesthetic.

So ideally one would avoid opioids at all, and if necessary, take the least amount possible. Seems like there's also some effectiveness in switching between them when tolerance develops.

I feel the same about gapabetin, pregabalin and similar anticonvulsant drugs. Don't trust them but if pain would dictate and they would be effective in releaving it, I guess they're the lesser evil.

• Posted

"I feel the same about gapabetin, pregabalin and similar anticonvulsant drugs. Don't trust them but if pain would dictate and they would be effective in releaving it, I guess they're the lesser evil"

I tend to agree. Everybody has a toleration point where the meds flag up as the only possible solution, however temporary.  The question there might be.....do people have different toleration levels for the same pain experience.  I don't think so.  What they might have is different conscious approaches to how they might deal with toleration levels which are under constant pressure with a chronic condition. This will be disputed,  but I believe that for the same injury/threat,  under the exact same circumstances (say a cut finger, or a toothache), the same amount of perceived pain is common to everyone, with no exceptions.  If alb test was conducted with 10 males, all aged 30years, with similar physique, and each was given a similar paper-cut to tip of finger,  I'd bet that they all would report the exact same level of pain.  THeir toleration of that pain might differ according to their conditioning  i.e.  if some of them are aware that there's a painkiller available,  then their toleration might be lessened in direct relationship to that knowledge.  Once that standard is built into an equation,  then by adding variables we can arrive at an equation which accounts for all pain experiences and the expected accompanying toleration levels.

My instincts tell me that pain toleration levels are the same for everyone across the board.  THe real problem is that we have no framework to compare them by,  and that leaves the toleration level at the discretion of each individual, and depending on their conditioning or influences,  those toleration levels,  which should be stable, are vulnerable to movement up or dowen the scale....usually down.  What I think is missing is an understanding of the 'commonality' of the pain experience,  which can be organised and defined on chart so we can all make good comparisons with our own experience,  and thus be able to compare expected toleration levels.  I know they've developed the 'pain scale' ,  but that doesn't come anywhere near what I'm suggesting.  The toleration issue is avoided and left open to individual interpretation, both by patients and professionals.  That makes it an issue which will always be contentious because there's no way someone not in pain is ever really going to agree about toleratioon levels with someone who is in pain.  We willingly create the confusion,  and subsequently we create the hierarchical symtem of control over medications,  perhaps at the expense of good understanding of the patient experience.  No one person, no matter how well trained, should have deciding powers over another persons pain distress,  it should all be standardised and charted to minimise possible errors.  Currently,  it is vulnerable to the confirmation biases of the professionals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.