How do I deal with my irrational hypochandria?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had terrible hypochondria since I was a young teenager (13-14 years old.)

It started when I found swollen lymph nodes in my body back in my freshman year of high school. Also, I had a lot of bowel problems but this has been the case my whole life and suggests something else (IBS.) I went to Dr. Google and googled my symptoms and, of course, it came up with all types of cancers. As a kid, this scared me to death. I went to my family doctor 4 or 5 times, got 2 blood tests which came back normal, and lost sleep. I was convinced I had some sort of cancer. I would think about it so much that the anxiety would literally make me sick and create physical symptoms (body aches, shoulder pain, armpit pain, etc.)

I eventually realized my worries were utterly stupid, as my symptoms would be worse when I would constantly think about it. So I stopped worrying about it. I also made some lifestyle changes because I ate unhealthy. As a result, I felt better and stopped worrying about it throughout high school.

Now I am a freshman in college and I am starting to have bowel issues and gas issues and body aches. Of course, I looked these up and I have now convinced myself I have colon cancer. This can be seen as even more ridiculous, because colon cancer is extremely rare in 18 year olds (even though I have family history of it.)

Now, I would not be shocked if I had something like IBS or acid reflux. However, those are not fatal illnesses and can be managed through better lifestyle choices. The problem is I cant seem to let go of the possibility that I do have cancer, even though I most likely do not.

I know people on medical forums have little to no patience for hypochondriacs, but I am here to finally accept that I have a mental problem which is causing me to have exaggerated physical symptoms. I want this nightmare to end and just be a normal college kid. I hate living with the idea that I have some life ending illness, even though I do not give any indication that I am terribly sick. In fact, I have a lot more energy than most of my friends.

What can I do at home before I go seek medication for it? i just do not want to take those anxiety meds, they make you a different person.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One more thing, I am sure that if I have had some type of cancer for 4-5 years I would be noticeably worse if not dead by now. I am pretty much exactly the same.

• Posted

Hello! i tottaly understand how you are feeling! i also am a hyprocindriac! I kno you prolly feel like u are very alone sometimes because as u said not many people have patience for people like us. Its a sickness that takes over your life and people dont understand it unless they go through it. You are right the odds of it being colon cancer are slim to none u r so young and if your doc thought that for a second he would give u a colonostopy. I kno its hard to say dont worry because no matter what people say to us our heads just dont let us do that. You are so young im 44 and i hate it maybe try to go and talk to someone thats a professional. Im always here if u need someone to talk to you can private message me! Try not to worry and enjoy your life!

• Posted

Well the good news is... you don't have bowel cancer!! Your Dr has already done testing and ruled it out!

Your story reads more like and anxiety disorder. The symptoms you list of bowl issues, reflux, aches and pains and just a handful of symptoms associated with anxiety, along with obsessive thoughts about your health.

The step up from highschool to college is a huge life moment and likely to trigger a stress response until you feel settled.

To add to the issue it sounds like you're quite anxious about being diagnosed with anxiety!!!

First an foremost as a health professional and someone personally dealing with a panic disorder,... you are not crazy. You are not mentally ill. It is manageable, you can fix this and be the normal freshman you want to be

Speak to your Dr. Noone will force meds on you. there are alot of different meds that WILL help and its not at all true that they 'make you a different person'. They dont make you feel different AT ALL! Ive never felt like anything happened when I started taking prozac until a week or 2 later i realised the level of anxiety had dropped greatly, i felt back to normal.

Other meds like valium can make you feel a little drowsy, but calmer, thats it. once youre feeling 100% back in control your Dr will wean you off meds. Good luck with it all, theres plenty of help available out there !

• Posted

Well the good news is... you don't have bowel cancer!! Your Dr has already done testing and ruled it out!

Your story reads more like and anxiety disorder. The symptoms you list of bowl issues, reflux, aches and pains and just a handful of symptoms associated with anxiety, along with obsessive thoughts about your health.

The step up from highschool to college is a huge life moment and likely to trigger a stress response until you feel settled.

To add to the issue it sounds like you're quite anxious about being diagnosed with anxiety!!!

First an foremost as a health professional and someone personally dealing with a panic disorder,... you are not crazy. You are not mentally ill. It is manageable, you can fix this and be the normal freshman you want to be

Speak to your Dr. Noone will force meds on you. there are alot of different meds that WILL help and its not at all true that they 'make you a different person'. They dont make you feel different AT ALL! Ive never felt like anything happened when I started taking prozac until a week or 2 later i realised the level of anxiety had dropped greatly, i felt back to normal.

Other meds like valium can make you feel a little drowsy, but calmer, thats it. once youre feeling 100% back in control your Dr will wean you off meds. Good luck with it all, theres plenty of help available out there !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.