How do I explain this to a doctor?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I've had depersonalisation non stop for 12 years, I'm 36 now and it hasn't stopped me from doing anything, I've been married, given birth, been abroad but my depersonalisation is always there in the background and I get so frustrated with it. Anyways I want to tell my doctor about it but I feel a bit daft asking for help, last time I told a doctor, which was 10 years ago he didn't give a damn and asked if I was on drugs!!! So that's put me off telling anyone, when you ring my doctors now you have to tell the receptionist your problem, then the doctor rings you back and you explain over the phone your problem...I really would like to get some help with this but feel daft ringing up the doctor with it!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Definitely ting doctor. Sounds like like your previous doctor was far from understanding. My doc is great. Can tell him anything and helps to talk here as well. If you feel awkward telling receptionist symptoms just say you need help with anxiety and your feeling desperate say you need to talk in more depth to doctor as your anxious and struggling to explain on phone. This is awful we shouldn't put off going to doctors bacause we're scared of telling people . I did the same ( avoided it because I thought they would think I was strange ) explain all above to doc and don't be fobbed off with( oh here just take these) need to get to bottom of this . I had all this trying to hide it and feeling rediculois but they've seen worse than this and we deserve to get help ??

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered chronic depersonalization for 3 years to date after my father died.

I have also had 6 years of chronic anxiety, 3 when he had been diagnosed with cancer and 3 after he passed away to date.

I feel detatched from reality, normality and normal emotion like living awake but in a dream.

On Sertraline and diazepam and just started therapy.

• Posted

Poor thing sounds awful. The detached from reality thing and living dream (very distressing ) only making anxiety worse. Wish you could see professional quicker, maybe to change meds Ann reassure . In meantime keep asking on here , sure someone knows and had these feelings . Wish I could help more. Take reasurance in the fact your not alone❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.