How do I get my nan to wear her hearing aids, I'm fed up!

Posted , 1 user is following.

So she's in her mid 80's.

She is hard of hearing, and it has been getting steadily worse for 8 to 10 years, part of the normal ageing process.

The only person that doesn't think my nan has hearing problems is my nan.

She has got some hearing aids but she refuses to wear them.

She says that if only people don't mumble and talk clearer then she could hear properly.

Her TV volume is loud. Her radio volume is loud.

I am constantly being told not to mumble. This is what is starting to frustrate everyone, where she is so stubborn and won't listen and blames everyone else but herself.

She says she won't wear them because they're a job to get out. But I told her she doesn't need to keep taking them out.

She has worn them for a couple of days then gave up with them. I explained that you have to have time to get used to them. Some things will appear loud because she wouldn't have heard those sounds for such a long time and it takes time for the brain to adjust.

Even when she does hear things she says "pardon" or "aye" as if she wants something to be repeated!

Anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.