How do I get rid of this chronic sinusitis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have chronic sinusitis, which I've had for nearly a year. After trying numerous antibiotics prescribed by my GP and none of them working I was then referred to the ENT clinic at my local hospital, by this time I was having trouble hearing as my ears were so blocked, although I've been lucky enough not to have any pain, I've had a constant nasal drip causing me to cough and clear my throat. I had a scan which showed my sinuses completely blocked and hearing test which was very poor. It was then decided that I would have to have endoscopic sinus surgery to drain my sinuses and widen them.

I had my operation on 10th March and was given a follow up appointment at the hospital for 16th June, in the meantime I was prescribed Nasonex spray to take until my appointment.

2 months after my op I am still coughing up yellow/green gunk and I still have the nasal drip and my ears keep popping!

I have been to see my GP and had to do a sputum test which revealed I still have an infection, so my GP prescribed 500mg of Erythromycin to take four times a day. I'm on my last day of antibiotics and I don't feel any better.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there anything else I can do or take which will actually work?! I feel like I'm going to be stuck with this blasted sinusitis forever!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, 

It sounds like you've had a very rough trot.

While I don't have any answers for you, as a fellow sinus sufferer, you have my sympathy.

All my best.

• Posted

Is that your second antibiotic? I have had that situation but it always went away with the second curse however as per all what I have read on internet on serious medical pages:

- Operations might fail and need to be repeated. Or even worse your operation might have not been done properly(beloved NHS) 

- What it means new ENT and new scan ct to see what happened.

- If you were operated properly a sinus rinse might help as it would wash out the biofilm.

- Do get checked for allergies and do not surrender to your ENT should he try to dismiss that point. If he is giving you Nasonex, he suspects allergic rynhitys hence an allergyc source it is possible. American and Canadian guidelines were modified to take that in consideration, in here neither NICE nor the NHS get that right.

- if that antibiotic fail do not hesitate to request another one, you might have caugh a super bug.

- I am myself waiting ct scans results but I do not have chronich sinusitis, I am prone to repeated bouts of them. So, I have had to try differents antibiotics on my case. It is not an ideal situation, as doctor could control it with antibiotic they where not doing anything about it. I dismissed a GP and an ENT before getting some results. All my best.

• Posted

Hi, the infection I've got is staphylococcus aureus which can become immune to antibiotics which is what I'm afraid might have happened to me. If it is immune to antibiotics then I don't know how they are going to treat it. I've still got the nasal drip which makes me cough and I keep bringing stuff into my mouth and spit it out.

I have an appointment with the ENT clinic on 16th June so I will have to explain everything that's happened and see what they say. Maybe they know of something that will get rid of it that the GP doesn't.

I've seen on the internet that Manuka honey is supposed to be very good and can be more effective than antibiotics! Apparently you can make a saline nasal rinse with it and also add it to your saline rinse, it is supposed to be effective in penetrating biofilm that antibiotics can't. Its also very good in boosting your immune system

• Posted

To start, have you tried the nasal rinse yet?
    • Posted

Yes I've got sterimar spray and also nasonex spray but they don't seem to be helping much! I'm going to get some Manuka honey 15+ today and mix it with the sterimar spray and see if that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.