How do I know if I have passed the kidney stone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

On our last day of holiday in Florida i experienced excruciating pain in my back with nausea and vomitting. I went to the ER where i was given morphine and had a CT scan which showed a 3mm kidney stone. I was discharged and the pain eased. We flew home to the UK the next day. i have seen my GP, who has referred me to a urologist.

I still feel extremely tired, but the pain is nothing like it was. Have. constant niggling sharp pain in the kidney, but bearable. As the excruciating pain has gone I'm assuming I have passed the stone. How can I be sure of this? Surely if stone was still there i would be in agony?

Advice welcome.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not necessarily. It all depends where the stone is lying. Back in Florida, it may have been blocking the ureter=extreme pain. You don't know if it moved, or was passed. Only way to tell is X-ray or CT scan once again.

• Posted

Debs,

First of all, so sorry for your pain. As a Florida resident, I'm glad you got good care at one of our hospitals! 😃 Secondly, I'm relieved that you didn't suffer on the flight back home; I've always flown with some leftover pain killers (now frightfully old, but I still keep them) just in case I get an attack while in the air.

As the previous responder said, you won't know anything until images are taken of your kidneys. It could be that the stone might still be in there but not moving. The "good" news is that a stone that size usually has a good chance of passing without serious intervention. So no matter what your situation turns out to be after you see the urologist, drink up that water... for the rest of your life!

Good luck. 😃

• Martin
    • Posted

Thank you! The treatment at the hospital was amazing and very thorough.

I see urologist next Tuesday, so hopefully l will find out if some has passed.

i feel extremely weak and tired today. the niggling pain is there with a dull ache low down in abdomen. Was hoping to go back to work tomorrow, but not sure i will make it feeling like this!

• Posted

I think it depends exactly where the pain is.

I had kidney stones for a year in 2017.

They were too big to pass and eventually they removed them surgically.

I went to A and E several times with the pain but then it settled down again till the next time.

So I think it is possible that you still have the stone.

One thing to look for is are you having urine infections? and Is there blood in your urine?

This would suggest that you still have the stone.

Good luck with all of this.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you. I dont feel great at all. Exceptionally tired. just want to sleep all the time. Urine is a nornal colour but i do need do go very often. Pain is still niggling, but nowhere near as bad as it was and does seem to be lower down .

i see urologist on Tuesday so hopefully I will know more then.

GP has signed me off work until next Friday. I really want to get back before then though. just feel so drained. Is that normal with kidney stones?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.