How do I know if I should take calcium supplements?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

My doctor did not prescribe for me any calcium supplements although I am a woman of age 45.

I do drink milk during breakfast but with Nescafe..so I think that doesn't count as Calcium is not absorbed I guess. I eat sometimes cheese in the evening.

On the other hand, I am taking a vitamin D 10,000 every once a week.

I am concerned about risks of Osteoporosis as I am thin and do not exercise only do some walking once in a while. I have a sedentary lifestyle.

Please may anyone advise me on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you need to worry too much about the coffee!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12204390

says "... Low calcium intake is clearly linked to skeletal fragility, and it is likely that a high caffeine intake is often a marker for a low calcium intake. The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk. All of the observations implicating caffeine-containing beverages as a risk factor for osteoporosis have been made in populations consuming substantially less than optimal calcium intakes. There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium."

Perhaps increasing your walking would be a good idea - and asking to be referred for a dexascan so you know what your bone density is. And ask your doctor if he thinks you need more calcium.

• Posted

Should have added: if you are in the UK the GP will not prescribe supplements unless there is a medical need for them. Being 45 isn't a medical need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.