How do i know if my bunion surgery is infected?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ihad my bunion removed and a second toe straightened  2 and a half weeks ago. My surgeon removed my bandages and stiches ( he left the pin in my straightened toe for another 6 weeks ) on tuesday but one stich was quite big and he said the wound had come away abit, Anyway he put sterile plasters on stiches and said i shoul dremove them in 3 days. i removed these yesterday but the one covering the worst bit was sore and you can see it has bled under the dressing so i left it. my worry is it might be infected as it looks about the size of a penny coin and i am not seeing the surgeon for another 5 and a half weeks, what do i do ?? Also do i still need to elevate my foot in bed at night when i am sleeping ? please help !!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you have any doubts I'd go see your gp they would be able to check it and re dress it if needed as 5 weeks is a long wait if there is infection, u may feel feverish or maybe the area becomes more sore,swollen,red or hot etc no harm getting it checked out just incase xx hope it's all ok soon
    • Posted

Thanks , think i am going to pop back to the hospital tomorrow as its a bank holiday so wouldnt be able to see GP until at least tuesday and husband only around to drive me sunday . Got very little info from hospital and paid nearly £ 4000 so not impressed . Thank goodness for this forum . xx

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you are struggling. I would go and see a district nurse as they can quickly tell you if it is infected.  Are you feeling unwell as this could be a sign.  I had a raised lump on my scar and they reassured me it was nothing to worry about.  On the elevation at night I carried on for ages with that out of habit and because I was still swelling at night so listen to your body and if not elevating turns out ok stick with it! Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help. As its a bank holiday weekend going to see how i go tonight then hopefully get it looked at tomorrow. My foot and leg havent swelled up for at least a week so not sure at night as i am worried that my toe might bend into my second toe again as there is hardly any gap so think i am going to check that as well. waited over 8 years to be in a position to have this op as have 2 school kids , so abit over anxious probably. xx
  • Posted

I think you should go to your local A & E if you think it is infected because as it is bank holiday weekend (I assume you are in the UK) you won't be able to see the doctor until Tuesday.  A&E will look at it and if needed give you treatment.  Don't leave it. My information leaflet said if the wound felt hot and sore it could be infected.  I had my foot elevated in bed until about 4 weeks after surgery but you've had more done than me.  I only had the bunion/mortons 5 weeks ago..  Keep it elevated as much as possible.  
    • Posted

Thanks, i went back to the hospital and luckily my scar is border line infection . so have been put on antibiotics to be on the safe side and a lovely nurse redressed it for me and gave me loads of extra dressings , Hopefully all proceed ok now ! Hope your recovery is going well ? Yes i am in Kent , so surprised how many different ways bunions are treated and after care, I had to go private as i need to get back to work as soon as possible , but i have usually had much better care with the NHS. xx
    • Posted

Glad you are getting sorted Janet and always nice to have a loveky nurse when you feel vulnerable.

hope it improves quickly for you.

• Posted

Hi Janet, Think the other members advice is right, go and get it checked out to be safe. They should be able to do a swab of the area to check for infections.I had one stitch like yours that took way longer to heal too. As for sleeping, I was still having to elevate my foor at night until I was allowed to walk in trainers. Poor you, that's really bad the hospital didn't give you much info. Hooray for this forum, loads of brilliant advice and lots of lovely people in the same position here to help youbiggrin !!! Good luck with your check tomorrow. 

• Posted

Thank you, as i said , i have now got it sorted out , hopefully !!! Also told as its not swelling up anymore that it should be ok in bed at night to just sleep normally. xx

• Posted

Janet, I just got my cast and dressings removed 6 days post op yesterday (with a similar surgery to yours) when I met with my surgeon - he said it looked infected; I am on an antibiotic and in 24 hours, my foot hurts less, looks better in color, and so I would also suggest you get it seen by someone as soon as you can, like many have already suggested...I feel for you, going through this, also...
    • Posted

Thank you, all this advice is so helpful and I told the hospital today that this forum is a God send for patients that havent been given much aftercare or info.Hope you are on the mend now, and its good you got to see your surgeon so soon . xx
  • Posted

Hi Janet, I am glad you have been to the hospital and that you

have got some antibiotics. Hopefully you will be feeling better

by now and won't have any more problems. Our local hospital

gave me a detailed leaflet with photos and lots of helpful advice which I found invaluable. Bunion surgery is not for the faint

hearted that's for sure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.