How do i know if my contact lenses is still in my eyes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i have been wearing contact lenses in over 2 months now and yesterday i had some problems knowing if my contact lenses was still in. I am pretty good in seeing whether they are still there, but still i am not sure. It looks like my eyes has a natural blue tint around my iris, so i am a little bit confused.

I tried to apply some rewetting drops and also massaging my eyelid to see if the lenses would dislodge. I tried to also examine my eyes thoroughly in the mirror to check if it was there. Someone also told me that you can use your glasses to know if they are still on your eyes, but i could see fine with my glasses.

Have anyone of you guys experienced anything similar? Do you have some good tricks? I will be thankful for all the replies.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would strongly consider NOT wearing your lenses for 2 months straight. Most should be taken out at night. When you leave them in that long you increase your chance for infection. Also the front surface of your eye start to distort due to lack of oxygen. However, if you are unable to tell by looking in the mirror if your lens is out, I would recommend having your eye doctor take a look. They will easily be able to tell with the slit lamp. If you cant tell I would not dig and dig trying to remove it. Best of Luck

• Posted

I am sorry, but i think you have misunderstood my question. Maybe i didn't formulate my question good enough. No worries, though 😃

What i meant was that i have been a daily user of contact lenses for about 2 months. I have not been wearing them 2 months straight 😉

• Posted

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. You would be surprised how many people do wear their lenses in their eyes for that long straight. I had 1 patient who hadn't taken their lenses out in over 1 year! It works for some people until they have a problem then many times they are not able to wear lenses as much or at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I would still go to your eye doc though if you are unable to find your lens. You can always add a lubricating drop then place your finger on your pupil and slide it over, might help you to see the edge of the lens if it is still in. Also check your vision and see if you see clearly with that eye alone. Might help you determine if it is in. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying to my post. Wow, i didn't know that someone can keep their contact lenses in their eyes for so long. If i may ask, how did his eyes look like when you first saw them. Were they clearly red, was his vision worse?

I don't really have the time or money to go the eye doctor. After examining my eyes throughly, moving my eyelid, using lubricants, seeing fine etc, i am pretty convinced its not in there. I don't really want to take the risk touching my eye without knowing if the contact lens is still there.

I do however see a blue tint around my iris, slightly covering the white part, but i actually think that is more of a natural thing, since i would know if it was there. Its not like the visibility tint of the contact lenses become less visible, right?

Again, sorry for the long post. I really appreciate the help 😃

• Posted

You can just wash your hands really good, then use your finger and easily touch it to your eye and move it side to side to see if its moving. This is what I do. It's pretty uncomfortable if theres no contact, you can certainly feel the difference. Also if you just hold your eyes open, i find that when my contact is in I can keep my eyes open longer than when I don't have them in. However just looking into the mirror and like I said using your fingers to touch your eye you can tell if its there or not. Not everyone can touch their own eye but it takes practice. You also must be careful that you don't scratch your conjunctiva, thus causing an infection. So wash your hands really good before you go digging in your eye.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.