How do i know if my self harm wounds are infected?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I self harmed about a week ago (its an on going thing for about 5-6 years).

And this time around they are different.

Around the wounds its very red and very warm and the scabbing sort of looking greeny and red. Please help?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

sounds like an infection to me. first off, gently wash the wound with warm soapy water. it needs to be kept clean in order to heal. next thing i would suggest is to use some hydrogen peroxide on it. i'm sorry you're self harming. best thing is to make an appointment with your doctor and discuss what you're going through. you are not alone. hugs

• Posted

Hi Anon girl, I think you should get it looked at ASAP, if it is infected it will be warm and their will be a icky looking scab, I'm not meaning to frighten you because that's not what we are here to do but an infection from an unclean wound could lead to some very nasty results including septicemia, if nothing else show your mum or a responsible adult.

Once you have this sorted you need to find help to stop you doing this, I promise you that no matter how often you do it it's not the cure for how your feeling, take care

• Posted

Believe it or not I really do understand how your feeling and when you self harm it's to make you feel real if I'm remembering right, with help and time you can feel real without self mutilation, it's a slow process but it's achievable and you will get better

• Posted

Hi I agree the wounds sound infection so you need to see a doctor for some treatment.  I am concerned that you have been self harming for 5/6 years and surprised that this hasn't happened to you before.  

Self harming isn't sustainable you know as eventually worse can happen.  I have seen post from self harmers where they have just done a small cut and all their flesh started coming away from the bone.  They ended up in hospital because of it.  You can cause permanent damage so please seek help.  x

• Posted

You are very welcome.  Rather than thanking me though I would be much happier if you said you were going to seek help.  Please don't think these types of things won't happen to you too because they will.  

Are getting any help or seeking it?  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.