How do I know my tooth is infected?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i went to the dentist 2.5 months ago. i told the hygenist that when i suck on my teeth i get that gross bitter taste. they did xrays and checked my teeth saying that i do not have any infection. after they cleaned my teeth, the bitter taste went away.

2 months later it is back. they did say i have a mild form of gengivitis. i am worried. what can cause this bitter taste in my mouth when i suck on my teeth??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Gingivitis is gum disease and if you are proactive about it maybe you can still save your teeth. I have the same issue and it's like the dentist doesn't know what gum disease is!?! I'm doing my own research and looking for a periodontist on my own. That's what I'm doing to take care of it. I found a good book on the Keyes method - and it's all about using salt (antibacterial), baking soda (antibacterial) and hydrogen peroxide (oxygen to anaerobic bacteria) to get rid of the bad bacteria. And I think it's getting better though it's hard to be consistent.

• Posted

thanks, so i actually called my dentist. they said no infection or absess. she said since you have a mild form of grngivitis, the taste will go away if i buy a water pic.

• Posted

I use a water pik every night and sometimes I add salt or mouthwash to it. And that is just a holdover - it's not getting to the root of the issue. It comes back after a few days. I've been with this for over a year. I've learned that it's not going away on it's own. And not with a water pik either. I need more help.

• Posted

i guess because

mine is so minor, she said if i use it everyday, it will eventually go away.

• Posted

Mine is minor too but I just don't understand why the dentist doesn't want to be proactive about it.

• Posted

ive used the water

pik and it does go away but come back. my

problem area is my back molar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.