How do I know this is Tietze's and not Cancer?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm an 18 year old male and I've had numerous Tietze's-like swellings on my ribcage - however, I haven't yet gotten them diagnosed. It started as a traditional left-sided sternal lump two years ago, then more appeared at other joints. Now it appears that very tiny contained bumps have appeared on my collarbone and even the direct middle point of my chin. It is unclear if some portions of my rib bone on my sides have become affected as well. I believe this to be a bacterial infection as it was preceded by what was presumably either a UTI or Syphilis contraction.

The lumps that appear are hard, immovable, occasionally hurt, but stop growing immediately after they appear to a notable degree and become less painful as time goes on. I've also had lymph node pain on my armpits, under my chin, and abdomen, but those too have become far less painful and frequent. None of the swellings/lumps are noticeably visible aside from the ones on my lowest ribs where the skin is the thinnest. After 2 years of waiting this out, I haven't had any other health complications regarding unusual sicknesses or my other organs. Is there any good way to differentiate Tietze's/infection and a spreading cancer?

I intend to be inspected very soon, I just want to get as much information as I can before diving in.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.