How do I know when to see the Dr?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw the Dr for knee pain a few years ago. They did xray and said it was arthritis but not bad. They gave an injection that actually made it worse and PT which helped. It was better for a few years but now it hurts a lot of the time. It actually is on the side of my knee cap, on the inside of my leg. The whole length of the knee cap. Sometimes when I'm walking if feels like my knee is grinding. This is extremely painful and I put on a knee brace. This helps some, but I end up walking without bending my knee. Suggestions? Is it time to go back to the Dr? Does it sound like arthritis?

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes. You probably know the answer. Yes. Don't ignore it when it's possible to get a great result. Good luck.x

• Posted

I think you should ask for an MRI. To make a very long story short after suffering with knee pain for a couple of years (and knowing I had osteoarthritis) I found myself unable to make any headway with my doctor. He kept saying based on the x-rays yes I had the osteoarthritis but not bad enough for any replacement. It got so bad I was using a cane a good portion of the time and he still refused. We went the injection route. When I finally insisted on an MRI he changed his tune and I had a TKR a few months later. If your doctor won't listen, get a second opinion. I feel like suffered for a couple years for nothing. The good news is I'm doing really well and 9 weeks post op. Be your own advocate!! Good luck.

• Posted

Yes, it's time.

I had two scopes each knee many years ago plus the arthritis.  Did SynVisc injections once a year (3 shots over 15 days) that helped immensely.  Then a move from New Jersey to Texas and its warmth kept me pain-free until 2016.  Doc said it was bone on bone with more arthritis and a TKR was the only solution.  So now I have a metal knee...and hip...and spine.  See an ortho...

• Posted

Hi Victoria, yes definitely it sounds like arthritis. I've had it for 26 years and just had a knee replacement but had to nag my gp because my consultant kept injecting it and it wasn't working. The grinding sound is bone on bone so I would go back to your gp and get an MRI as they are much better for showing the damage to the knee. It's a very hard and painful operation but worth it. I was in a wheelchair the last few weeks prior to my knee op. It's now 12 weeks and I'm walking unaided and feel better than I have in years. If you do decide to go ahead keep in contact with this forum you will find so much help and support in here. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.