How do I manage my weight?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking 10mg Bisoprolol since I was 6 or 7, I am now 19. I have always had issues with my weight and I have been told that it most likely has a lot to do with my medication which tires me out quicker, and also causes weight gain.

It seems no matter how hard I try, I am always gaining weight. It makes me feel so terrible. I am exhausted all the time, I feel like I am dragging around a backpack full of books at all times. Now all of my clothes are getting to be too small for me.

Does anybody else have this problem? Are there any ways I can fix this problem?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi glj30,  I take Bisoprolol 10mg too and yes, I noticed a weight gain. Also, swollen feet and ankles is another side effect which I have. It's a very powerful drug from such a small tablet. I had no idea that Bisoprolol could be given to 6/7 year olds. Do you take Warfarin aswell?  Perhaps your cardiologist may be able to advise you on the weight gain problem? I wish I could be of more help.

• Posted

They don't usually give that high a dosage to children. I have Long QT Syndrome and have always been on some level of Bisoprolol from very young. When I was 6, I had an arrhythmia and had an ICD put in and my dosage was upped to 10mg. That's why so young. That is the only medication I take.

When I've asked in the past, they pretty much say too bad. There isn't much I can actually do about it because as long as the drug is working, there is no need to change anything.

• Posted

I agree I'd talk to your cardiologist see if there's another drug they can give you. But it'll be because it's slowing you down. One of the many side effects of bisoprolol is fatigue so you might want to discuss that with your cardiologist with add ed bit of weight gain. Good luck and best wishes .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.