How do I naturally reduce cholestrol?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My age is 46. I have been fed-up to high cholesterol problem now I want to get rid of this naturally. Please suggest what I do to reduce my bad cholesterol. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

you dont say say if you exercise or not.  This hopefully will raise your HDL cholesterol if you do or hopefully lower your trigs.  Carbohydrates in moderation and also fruit because of the sugar content.  Mine is high too, I don’t get my numbers checked now as I have took the theory that I can’t do anything else short of starving myself of any food.  Mine was lower eating more what I fancied and no exercise, than watching what I eat and exercise,  plus I’m wondering if you are peri menopause as well,  oestrogen plays a role with us women.  There is prove also that statins are no good for women either.  They made me very poorly.  No more statins is a good Facebook page x 

• Posted

Sue162 has given some good advice.  Forget about lowering the overall cholesterol level and try to raise good cholesterol - it's the differential thats important as higher HDL will shift the excess LDL from the bloodstream.  Menopause does have a significant effect unfortunately, mine was high to start and went through the roof for absolutely no apparent reason as soon as I inched towards menopause.  Read up on foods which have resistant starch - they are foods which take much longer to digest and move through to the lower bowel and feed the good gut bacteria, which increases certain hormonal responses and helps with a whole range of 'middle aged' problems, plus lowers BP, regulates blood sugar and helps to regulate cholesterol.  Exercise is key - any type of movement is good.  You dont have to become a gym bunny, just perhaps buy a pedometer or similar and try to keep up to a certain level of activity daily - even five minutes at a time is excellent.  I always thought I had a  healthy diet but after a lot of research and reading, I've changed a few things and its really helping - without having to actually stick to any form of strict diet, I just dont eat the foods that cause the problems anymore.

• Posted

You don't say what your cholesterol is, I have just been told mine is 7.1, frightened me to death (almost literally!).  I must do something about it I know, the system has let me down as well as myself, this is the first test I've had for very many years but on the other hand I should have asked for one with a BMI of 29.7.

Cheese has gone, butter has gone, half fat milk changed to skimmed, no red meat just chicken breast and oily fish.  I was surprised about fruit but it makes sense, apples, grapes, blueberries and strawberries are all sweet, the sugar has to go somewhere.  I have always eaten seeded brown bread and start the day with Ready Brek.  Exercise must be increased but that is easier said than done although I have time as I am retired.

• Posted

Strawberries and cantaloupe seem lower sugar and carbs.  The whole carb thing gets my head in a spin.  

• Posted

Mine is 7.1 too, much to my surprise. I had a small stroke 18 months ago, at that time it was 6.5, I went on a strict diet for the next six months and it went up to 6.8, still following the diet but with a treat now and then and it is now at 7.1 so it seems that the better my diet the more my cholesterol rises. I'm not very worried about it but the GP is going frantic, what can I do though? I get a lot of exercise, no red meat just chicken and fish, plenty of veg, fruit in moderation, wholemeal bread etc.I feel fit and healthy but no idea what is going on in my arteries!

• Posted

I was referred to a lipid doctor because I stopped taking statins due to extreme tiredness, achy muscles and joints, sleeplessness and feeling bad overall while on them.  Under the advice of the lipid doctor, I am off bread altogether except for Ezekiel bread (in refrigerated section and is sprouted grains).  I am basically following the Mediterranean diet - fish and veggies with fruits, nuts, salads, lots of kale and spinach leaves, skim milk, only 3 eggs a week.  I exercise at least 4 days a week at the gym, elliptical and weights for at least 45 minutes at a time.  None of this seemed to change my cholesterol so he put me on Livalo which is a statin that is supposed to not have side effects.  So far I can tolerate every other day on the Livalo but it has no generic yet and costs a fortune.  I am only taking it now because my doctor gives me samples.  My cholesterol dropped drastically since taking Livalo but if he stops giving me samples, I can not afford 400-700$ a month for this drug so I will be back with high cholesterol.  My primary care dr says I have inherited the high cholesterol because with the changes I have made, it should have gone down. I am 67 and I hate how tired the statins make me feel. Without them, I feel great and have plenty of energy but the doctors are saying I will have heart blockages if I don't get the cholesterol down.  I am not sure I believe that the cholesterol is really the problem.  My dad have blockages at age 65 and he had low cholesterol! 

• Posted

I really sympathise, I have inherited high cholesterol - mine was at 9 (UK figures are expressed differently to the US, not sure how that compares), which my doctor said was a stroke waiting to happen!  I suffered hell on earth on statins and just couldnt continue.  Our health service (NHS) will only prescribe a few different varieties - mainly simvastatin (because its cheap) and atorvastatin, both of which caused me horrendous problems.  My diet is healthy, I too now aim for Ezekiel bread or equivalent, I've cut out most starch except for resistant starch and I'm mostly vegetarian with only very occasional fish, ie no meat or meat products.  I have normal BP and normal blood sugar and am relatively healthy otherwise.  I'm probably a tad overweight but nothing a bit more activity during the summer wont shed.  I'm not so sure either that cholesterol levels taken in isolation are an indicator of my vascular health - surely if I had blockages my blood pressure would be abnormal too.  The stress caused by the level of fear put on me by my doctor cant have helped either!

• Posted

Hi Loxie,

i honestly could of written everything that you that you have said.  I am the same.  I must of inherited the cholesterol as well.  Interestingly, one of my brothers eats steaks, wine, sweets and walks slowly walking his dog and his cholesterol is 6 no action need as defined by gp,  I do the opposite, have the same parent and mine is high,  well last measurement which was four years ago,  I suffer health anxiety so me knowing my numbers would probably have me honestly so depressed,  I have biked in excess of 100 miles this week being summer, weight eight stone and I reckon my number would be high.  I had read inflammation is more to blame than cholesterol, so try to eat anti inflammation foods.  The whole thing is a worry as my father died at 56 of a heart attack.  Like you my blood pressure is 114/66 resting of 51 or below and no glucose hardly in tests.  What else can we do, have you any ideas?

• Posted

To be honest Sue I've run out of ideas.  The one thing I really intend to do is to stop making myself ill with worry about the numbers.  I cant take the statins offered and my doctors wont look into more expensive options and they insist i'm exaggerating or becoming obsessional - both of which are nonsense.  All I can do is follow a healthy diet and lifestyle and hope for the best.  If, as they say, I'm leaving myself open to stroke or heart attack, it will be what it will be.  I cant live a life of pain and disability on toxic meds so I will have to accept that I have made my choice and will take the consequences.  I guess we have to cope with the hand we're dealt.  I have over time become very disillusioned with medical professionals, who seem to ignore anything their patient says if it doesnt agree with policy, most of which is heavily influenced by the financial influence of the pharmaceutical industry.

• Posted

Hi Loxie,

Thanks for the reply.  At least it’s someone to chat to about this.  The emotional roller coaster of worrying about numbers and what to eat.  When we research anything be it google or books and seem to know something gps do say that, almost like they want to be the king of knowledge.  I too can’t take statins, Repatha is even worse so I aren’t trying that.  They aren’t supposed to be good for women anyway so they say.  My husband eats the same foods not as much exercise but has low cholesterol, I think our bodies are to blame  lol

• Posted

my reply is being moderated for some reason, no idea why but hopefully it will appear soon
  • Posted

Hi Sophia, high cholesterol is a very common problem these days. It is better to use natural methods to control it. Fiber rich food such as fruits, vegetables, flax seeds etc. can help flush the extra bad cholesterol. In addition to this you must also take a 30 minutes walk everyday. And if you find it difficult to keep a track of everyday's diet then you can use health related app such as Cholesterol Down app with is designed with a daily diet tracker and allows you to maintain your diet record. 

• Posted

Hi my level was high 6.9. So doctor said statins I said no.I lost half a stone and starting taking cholesterol drinks,Not the expensive ones just Aldi  or Tesco brand ,as a tv program said they were just as good.Well it went down to 5.9 .The Dr said you should still have statins I said why if its gone down,She said well your age .,I said no we will wait ,Im due a test in a few months but Im still not touching statins ,And I still have my cholesterol drink everyday,Plus Im eating more healthy less snacks more veg in my dinners.etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.