How do I stop drinking?

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is hard, in my heart I know I'm drinking far to much but in my head I can't see the problem, I've been drinking in excess for probably over 20 years, its caused me lots of problems, but still I carry on, I know its only a matter of time before it catches up with me but the thought of getting home and not having a beer is scarrey, sounds so stupid to put it down but I'm stuck into this belief I workhard I deserve a drink, I know that's selfish and I don't want to but I can't get out of it

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My husband is retired now, and all his past years of heavy drinking has finally caught up with him-he had 2 strokes, (directly linked to alcohol) his liver is a mess, and the worst part (which you dont think of when you are a younger drinker "deserving your after work drink" -  he has developed Alcoholic Dementia, and the neurologist told him he has damaged his neurons, and  has basicaly given HIMSELF demenial !!!
    • Posted

This is where I know I'm being selfish, I don't want my wife in the position you are, its just like I want to get out of this but don't know how
  • Posted

You have taken the first step in the right direction, admitting you know there's a problem and need help! And it IS out there, my husband doesnt seem to think there's anything wrong,even though he has hallucinations, has fallen down so many times and recently broke his ankle, was in plaster, and was sober for 6 weeks, because he couldnt go and buy his vodka!! Please think years ahead, you will end up a wreck, (my grandchildren are forbidden to go in the car with him, he's been done twice for drunk driving) and no sleepovers with us, (after 14yr old got up at 9am, and saw him swigging out of a vodka bottle!!) Get a grip NOW, control your drinking, and perhaps you might be able to turn your life around.
    • Posted

Thank you for your replys, I know your right, at the end of the day its about growing up at last! It just the doing it bit,
  • Posted

It's a real problem that needs a real solution. You took the first step by admitting the problem. The best thing you can do for yourself is get professional help. 
  • Posted

You wont regret it, and you will live a good life.Husband says I will NOT control him, but he doesnt realise that the booze IS controlling him!  I wish you sooo much luck, you CAN do this, think  of how much you'll gain, and all that you could lose. xx
  • Posted

As someone who is on the outside reading your post, it sounds as if your head also knows that you may be drinking too much. It is tough quitting. But as the saying goes nothing in life comes easy. I'm also a man who took drinking too the next level. Sometimes I think I've done everything I could subconsciously do to kill myself. But I arrived at that point I had to make a choice. Sobriety won out. I really don't believe there is one true way to become sober. But what is very evident you have to want it. No other person or professional can make you want to be sober. I met up with my brother yesterday at a bar. I finally told him what I was doing. He asked if I wanted to go somewhere else but the truth of the matter was if I felt uncomfortable I would not have gone in the first place. To me sobriety is all about being selfish. For the first time in a long time I feel like I deserve good things in life and I finally feel like me again. Sorry to have rambled on. Good luck and God's speed. Matt
    • Posted

Well said Matthew. You DO deserve the good things in life x
  • Posted

In your head, you know the truth or you would not have sought out this website and posted that message smile

You are struggling with the idea of letting go of alcohol because it has tricked you into believing that it has a positive effect on your life, That is how addiction works. You need a change of thinking smile

For example, you work hard, you earn your money, you buy alcohol with it, you feel some initial reward, you feel guilty, you worry about your health.....

Just that little bit of reward in the middle there is your sole reason for drinking. You need to have a rethink and, in order to do that, you probably need a lot more information about the negative effects alcohol has on you if consumed excessively.

From that, perhaps you can try and put something else in place of the alcohol.

Do you live alone? Have a partner? Kids? Any interests that you pursue (or used to and could pick up again)?

I'm sorry if all that comes across as if I think it is an easy problem to fix. I know it isn't, at all, and you may need to seek some help in the form of counselling to help you adapt how you do things.

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind words and constructive comments, all of them are so true and make sense, don't know if I'm being a coward putting a end to this cycle or I need 'that' thing to get me to the place I'm looking for. In my head I'm like let's start afresh for the new year and that makes sense, I hope that's a goal and I can wake up from what now feels a long sleep.
  • Posted

My heart goes out to you.I just recently conquered my drinking problem.This will sound cliche but Jesus took it away from me in one night,when I seriously asked him. God knew you beore you were born,He doesn't want you to live like this.I couldn't imagine WHAT I would drink,I drank a 6 or 12 pack a day!I have been sober for 104 days today,and I feel so much better.There are meetings where people won't judge you,and really care about you. Please don't give up.I will pray for you right now.
  • Posted

At once you can stop drinking because you have become addicted to it, but try to reduce the amount day by day and one day will come where you will not take a sip of it. As well whenever you will feel like drinking just divert your mind somehwere and always be busy in some work so that you will not get a thought of it.
    • Posted

The problem with using alcohol to detox from alcohol, Mary, is that you may do well for a few days but it almost always creeps back up and you end up drinking more than you were before. Very very few people manage to stop drinking that way, unfortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.