How do I stop getting so affected by friends opinions

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey guys

I hope you are all well.

Cut a long story short I am 25 and whenever one of my friends criticises me slightly it really gets to me.

After they do I begin to think twice and worry about myself even though I know its not true.

How do I take this on the chin and not take comments to heart?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

And they're friends? I think you could do with some different ones or more understanding at least - a friend sticks by you regardless  I only have 2/3. Good luck yours either need swapping or talking to! 

• Posted

Hi I have had friends criticise me in the past but it has not upset me coz I know they are only doing it for my own good coz they care about me.  They wouldn't be friends if they criticised me for any other reason.  If they are good friends can't you ask them what they mean or tell them it upsets you?  If not then they are not good friends.  x

• Posted

Hi I recently was criticized about  wearing little make-up because actually I rarely make up. I feel not worry about that but just wonder what did she mean by that. I understand you and I want to tell you that if it is positive comment or criticism, take it, ask yourself if you can do something to make it better. I mean if your friends criticize your mistake stuff like that. But if it is negative one, and you cannot fix it so just let it pass. I know it is hard to do please keep practicing one day you will be fine with words that will coming to you.     
  • Posted

First of all if they are constantly belittling you or criticizing you. They are not your friends but j*rks! You should leave them if you can't start defending yourself from them. Tell them things too. Stay Strong Adam💪Its not you it's them that need fixing. Maybe you need some new friends. Take Care💕🙏💖

• Posted

Hi Adam - I can relate to how you feel. I was very sensitive, took everything hard, and that was because i had an inferiority complex due to constant criticism from a sociopathic, perfectionist mother. I learned to laugh along with such comments, though of course it is natural to be self-critical and focus on the issue to see if what has been said might be true. If there is merit in the criticism, decide whether it is important and worth the effort of changing whatever it is about yourself.. Sometimes people degrade others to make themselves feel better. If they get a reaction, they will continue to attack because they are controlling you. If you can flip the comment around and confront them, a bully will seek another target. Also, it helps to remember that a friend accepts you for who you are. It's your individuality that's special and what attracted them in the first place. In the end, it doesn't matter what others think of you, it only matters what you think of yourself. You can't control what they think, but you can control what you think. Good luck going forward.

• Posted

I believe that friends try to joke around with rude comments that are most likely not true. If these "friends" are mean try saying something like "Hy that comment doesn't sit right with me" or "Dude was that really necessary?"

I really hope this helps you cuz I'm sure I would want to be helped in that sorta situation! ^-^

Yona~

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.